Problem Resetting Student View

Jump to solution
bbellomo
Community Novice

In the Master Course for BUSN 5620, I have tried to reset Student View, but it does not clear the assignments submitted when I click on Reset Student.  Also, when I used Test Student to submit a quiz, I cannot unpublish the quiz.  When hovering over the publish/unpublish icon it shows the message "Can't unpublish if there are student submissions."  What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Sebastian Bellomo

2 Solutions

@bbellomo , it doesn't mater if the course was cloned or not, Canvas will automatically create a section for anyone who is added to the course, including the test student. I just tested this in a brand new course with no sections (and not even any content) and as soon as I did student view it added the test student as a student in a section in the course. In addition, deleting the test student from a course section only resets the student. It does NOT take away the ability to use Student View; next time you use it another test student will be generated in that section.

My guess is that if you follow Chris' directions you WILL find a section in your course and the test student listed in the section. See my additional comments along with his directions below.

1. In your course, click on "Settings" on the left side of your screen.
  2. Click on the "Sections" tab.
  3. Under "Course Sections", click on the name of your course section - if you didn't create a section then the section name will be the same as your course.
  4. Under "Current Enrollments", find the "Student, Test" user which probably has a string of random numbers and letters under it. - If you are now able to find the Test student, feel free to delete them from the course following the rest of Chris' directions. This does NOT delete the test student for good from your course, what it does do is completely reset it.
  5. Hover over "Student, Test", and you should see a red "x" icon to remove "Student, Test" from the course.

I recommend trying all of this first and then if you are still unable to unpublish the quiz (or assignments) you might have to deleted them and then re-add them to the course. In addition, you could submit a Canvas Help Ticket (Help link --> Report a Problem). I've had to do this before because there was a bug with Canvas and not being able to unpublish quizzes that the test student had taken, but I thought they'd fixed it.

View solution in original post

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

To everyone who's been helpfully participating and following along in this discussion,  @bbellomo ​ emailed me the response he received from Canvas Support:

"Hello:

Our engineers were able to get the following Quiz unpublished:

https://webster.instructure.com/courses/1028774/quizzes/1074520

If we can help with any further questions or concerns that you may have, please let us know. Thank you! Smiley Happy

-Keara Webster
L2 Support Technician "

Canvas Support to the rescue! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post