Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casilcox

Problem importing IMSCC file

I am attempting to import an IMSCC file into my Canvas course. It shows that it is pre-processing but it also says that the file is not available. I left this overnight with no progress. Any ideas on what is happening?canvas imscc‌; #import status

8 Replies
Community Champion

Hi Cheryl, and welcome to the Canvas Community!

Two things come to mind.

1. Make sure that in the 'Import Course Content' process, you select 'Canvas Course Export Package'... see below.
  2. If by chance you are working on a MAC, you may need to add the file extension to the file '.imscc', if it isn't already part of the file name.

Select - Canvas Course Export Package

Thanks, Earl. I am using the Canvas Export Package and I verified that the file name contained .imscc. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

Community Champion

What is the type and bandwidth of your internet connection? DSL, Cable, Institutional?

If you have a robust broadband connection, the only other thing that I can think of is that the file might be too large. Do you have access to the source course, or was it provided  to you from an instance that you don't have access to?

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

@casilcox 

925024864 is on to something in his last post - if you are trying to import a large course into one with significant content, you may run into issues with exceeding the course size limit set by your Canvas Admin. From the Canvas Guides...............

"Courses are allotted a specific file size limit for file storage. Your course export package file size must be smaller than the quota for your course as shown in course statistics. If you do not have enough storage space in your course to import the export package, please contact your Canvas administrator."

As stated in the quote, if this is the case. talk to your Canvas admin, as they can raise the limit.

Kelley

I am on an institutional network. I do have access to the source course. It was built in our "staging" environment and I am trying to move it to the "production" environment. The file is 391,777KB. Is there a way to move the course in "chunks" rather than exporting it all at once?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@casilcox , I don't believe there's a good way to upload in chunks (or really possible with the IMSCC file) and have the course come over the way you'd want it to. In addition, even if you brought it over in chunks the course still isn't big enough for everything in the staging environment so you'd run into the same problem. Best bet is to either decrease the size of the course (Ex: remove video uploaded to Canvas and switch it to video hosted on YouTube and embedded in Canvas) OR contact your Canvas Admin and have them up the max course size for your course.

Community Champion

Hi CherylKona Jones and Kelley L. Meeusen have both given excellent guidance. With a file size of over 300 mb, you are probably running up against course file size limits. I believe the default is 300 mb. I have run into this issue myself, but I am an Admin, so I simply increased the file size limit of the course, and voila, the import completed successfully.

Kona brought up an excellent point about not uploading videos directly into a Canvas course, but rather upload to a streaming file server such as Kaltura, or YouTube, and then embedding a link to the same. This keeps those large files out of the course, and keeps the course and embedded files much cleaner and more responsive. These suggestions should resolve your issue. Please let us know.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@casilcox ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie