cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maypumphreymary

Problem importing matching questions

I am importing a test bank from my course's textbook publisher. The sales rep for the publisher said to use the one labeled Test Bank for Blackboard CE/Vista. It worked great except for the "matching" style of question. Those get imported as fill-in-the-blank questions. Here's what one of them looks like in a Canvas quiz:

Match each of the following terms to its example:
I. database management
II. media management
III. photo editing software
IV. cloud service provider
V. presentation software

A. Keynote
B. Access
C. iTunes
D. Picasa
E. Google

Students then have to provide a fill-in-the-blank answer of the form B, C, D, E, A

If a student doesn't put a single blank after each comma or puts extra blanks at the beginning or ending or chooses some other punctuation style, the question is marked as incorrect, which leads to a lot of re-grading by the instructor. If the instructor attempts to repair such questions in advance of students taking a quiz containing them, even more work is required! The only "workaround" seems to be to NOT use any matching-style questions in the test bank!

The various test banks available from Pearson are at Geoghan, Visualizing Technology Complete

I've contacted Canvas support about this; they're escalating it to their next higher level of support. But in the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyone in the Canvas Community has encountered this issue before.

NOTE: I encountered the exact same problem last summer, when my college was using Catalyst (a slightly modified Moodle) with the Moodle Test Bank from the same publisher. So, it seems that perhaps Pearson Education might be mis-coding their matching-style questions. But there have got to be thousands of instructors using those questions, and neither the sales rep nor the Canvas support team have heard of this problem before. Thus, I'm mystified!

3 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @maypumphreymary ‌...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered since April 12th.  While I don't really have an answer for you, I wanted to check in with you.  It appears that you may have stumped the Canvas Community with your question (but hopefully by checking in here, it will get some more exposure because it's been bumped more to the top).  Have you been able to come up with any solutions to your question on your own that you'd be willing to share back here with the Community?  Or, are you still looking for some help with this question?  If you could please come back to this thread to provide an update, that would be great.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Maryann.

Hello again,  @maypumphreymary ‌...

I thought that I would check in with you once more.  We've not heard from you for quite some time.  I'm hopeful that you've been able to come up with a resolution to your initial question since you first posted this question.  But, by all means, if you're still looking for help, please post a message below so that the Community can help you.  For now, since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over two months, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because an answer has been given, but because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since June.  I hope this is okay with you, Maryann.  Looking forward to your reply.

James
Community Champion

This is a well known issue with fill-in-the-blank questions and people having to be very specific in how they enter their answers or the teacher having to allow for every possibility when they create the question (except that it's case insensitive). BCDEA or B,C,D,E,A or B,C,D, E,A (notice the extra space after D,). It really gets to be a nightmare.

For the time being, if you're going to use these questions, tell the students that they need to add a space after the comma in order for it to be counted properly. This will save you some time going through and regrading each question. You can help determine which students need the regrading by going to the Quiz Statistics and downloading Student Analysis. Find the questions and then skim through them looking for people who answered it in a correct way.

There is a related feature that is on Product Radar that you may want to add your use case to:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5826-add-regular-expressions-to-quizzes" modifiedtitle="true" .... But you would still need to go through and modify each question that you want to use in that case.  The better (less work for teachers) solution is to have the publisher do things right.

See if the publisher can use the Matching type question that Canvas has support for as it it might be an artifact of bringing in a question that was written for a different LMS. If there was an option to use the Common Cartridge or QTI formats (you know, the standards), I would try it over one written for that other LMS. Canvas is now the #2 LMS in terms of market share so they may be more interested in supporting it now than before.