cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfreedman3
Community Participant

Problems adding users...

Jump to solution

I've been an admin for a while, but still a fairly novice user.  I've always had problems getting 100% of users added to my courses.  Here's what I'm seeing:

In class, using the student's school accounts, something like 15% of new users never got their email invite.  They're not in spam, we try again, eventually delete the request and start over.  Usually works, but really should be seamless.

I've learned that courses need to be published, but even though a course is published, I still get this advisory message.

Any other help? Ideas?

My current situation is that I'm trying to add a user with his personal email. Even though I've deleted his school email from the the class (and all other old classes that I can find), the system it blocks adding his, saying he is still registered with the old school email. Any suggestions?

Related, is there a way to see all users and the classes they are registered in?

Thanks, Michael

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tross
Community Champion

You have to add the student with the email associated with their account.  If you are using a different email, you would need to add that email to the student's account in the user function.  I will also say that if I am add quite a few users, I will build a csv and do a manual sis import.  That will load them in the course without them being pending and they don't get invitations, they just get the course.  

We have too many people that get the invite but then click decline and you have to send it again.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tross
Community Champion

You have to add the student with the email associated with their account.  If you are using a different email, you would need to add that email to the student's account in the user function.  I will also say that if I am add quite a few users, I will build a csv and do a manual sis import.  That will load them in the course without them being pending and they don't get invitations, they just get the course.  

We have too many people that get the invite but then click decline and you have to send it again.  

View solution in original post

mfreedman3
Community Participant

Ah, I see an add user function from the admin screen. I was trying from within the course. Tried again...

A follow up question. I have five pages of users I want to delete from my canvas account. I see now how to delete one at a time, is there a way to batch deletes?

tross
Community Champion

Sure.  Look at SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation and it will document how to build a user file.  You can mark their status as deleted which is what a manual delete does.

mfreedman3
Community Participant

Thanks!