cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srisk
Community Member

Problems with Importing Course - No Images or Icons or Transcripts

Hello and thank you for your help, 

I am using an Open Source version of Canvas. I have built courses in an older open version and exported that course into various instances of Canvas including @One Developer version and my own "teachers account" without any problems. However, when I try to import into the newest Open Source Version, none of my images, icons or transcripts are transferring. The file names are there - but the containers are empty. I've attached 2 screen shots of Canvas Instances. The one with the icon images is what it should like. The instance with the file names is what is appearing in the Open Source version after import. Here is a screen capture of the issue. I appreciate any troubleshooting advise. 

Things I have tried:

* Made sure the course is published

* Validated all links

* Imported same .imscc file into multiple instances

Thank you!

Here is a screen capture of the issue. 

Created by Camtasia Studio 8 

5 Replies
kenneth_rogers
Community Champion

Hello,  @srisk !

I wanted to follow up and see if you still had issues importing courses into your open source version of Canvas. If not, would you kindly update us as to what you did to alleviate your issue? This is the sort of topic that I am sure others would benefit from in the future - and we could really value from your feedback!

On the flip side - if you are still having issues - let us know! I am going to share this question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=2afa1bd3-d597-4597-90c9-...‌ group to see if by chance anyone in there has familiarity with the open source version and can help you out.

dmalik
Community Participant

I have found it convenient to build test banks in a separate course. Then when the bank is done, use the import course content to move the bank to other courses using the same bank. The problem is that image links are lost in the course content transfer. Then, I need to re-establish the links in individual questions (and their distractors). Very painful, 

How do I void losing these links? The folder containing the linked files in the source bank sometimes is incomplete in the destination file folder. So I can tell that links got broken somewhere in the process. Are there suggestions for improving the copying process so there are no broken links? BTW, I am using standard Canvas, not the open source version.

kenneth_rogers
Community Champion

Hi there,  @srisk !

I wanted to follow up on your question since it's been quite some time since we've heard from you. How are your course imports going? We'd love to hear back and hopefully help you out!

For now, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered". This won't prevent people from adding additional dialogue to the thread, so don't worry! The conversation can still happen!

@dmalik  -

I'm so sorry I missed this! I wanted to follow up and see how things are going. Are you still having issues?

Good morning and thank you for writing.

We were not able to find a viable solution. We started looking into

software developers for consultation, but that proved unsustainable.

In the end, we went with a hosted version of the Canvas LMS and are much

happier.

Thank you again,

Sydnee