-_
Community Member

What is it? Why is there a link to it on my home page?

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Good afternoon, @-_ ...

There are written Guides here in the Community for both Instructors and Canvas administrators on how third-party LTI external tools can be incorporated into Canvas.  These LTI external tools are not added on their own.  Rather, in most cases, your school would need to purchase some sort of subscription or license in order to incorporate the product into your school's Canvas environment.  Many times, schools will evaluate the need for using third-party LTIs and may even be able to have a short trial of the software before a school decides to move forward with a purchase.  So, I'm not sure that your comment about "uninvited software" would be accurate ... assuming that your school's Online Learning/eLearning department has done their vetting of the third-party software.  I would suggest that you reach out to someone at your school such as a local Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning department if you have additional concerns about this.  They may be able to give you further details about the various LTI tools they have chosen to incorporate into your school's Canvas environment.  Before I forget, here are the links to the Canvas Guides about LTI external tools:

I'll also mention that may LTI external tools that can be integrated with Canvas make it appear that it is part of the Canvas environment.  For example, Pronto might appear in a frame within your Canvas course.  This is generally "by design" so that students aren't taken outside of the Canvas environment...yet they can complete the necessary work for the course using whatever LTI tool the instructor has chosen to use in his/her course.  Other LTI tools that integrate seamlessly into Canvas would include software like Zoom (video conferencing) and Turnitin (plagiarism checker).  Both of these include interfaces directly inside of Canvas, and you never really need to leave Canvas in order to use them.

I hope this helps to clarify things a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Pronto_Ben
Community Member

Hi There, 

Thanks for looking into Pronto. It is great that you want to be aware of everything within your Canvas and we commend you for it! Pronto is designed to feel very comfortable inside of Canvas to provide a quick and frictionless communication experience inside of CanvasLMS, a web browser,  or through our mobile applications. We allow for instant written communication as well as video and audio calls and collaboration.  

For peace of mind, there is definitely a privacy notice the first time a user clicks on Pronto and everything that takes place inside of Pronto is secure and limited to those who are enrolled in the groups or participate in 1:1 messaging.

For a quick view of Pronto and how it works, take a look at this, for documentation on Pronto, specifically for Canvas schools, click here

Please don't be shy if you have any questions. 

View solution in original post