cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liuz21
Community Participant

Published or Unpublished Course Reports

Jump to solution

How can I get the course list for published courses or unpublished courses separately for a institution?

I am the account admin. I can generate the course or section report. But I cannot tell which courses are published or unpublished from the report.

Any idea? Thanks!

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jordan
Community Champion

1.png?shared_name=1ektsd61z50kudau1q67os6z3q1l8hw9Hi  @liuz21 ​ and thanks for posting this great question!

Get a list of all published/unpublished courses by doing the following: Visit your Admin Console > Settings > Reports > Provisioning > Configure... > Courses CSV

Note that there is a column in your CSV which shows "active" or "unpublished." The "active" courses are those which have been published. Smiley Wink

Summary:

• The SIS Exports report will provide all courses and will not tell you which are published or unpublished.
  • The Unpublished Courses report that  @canvas_admin ​ mentioned is great, but it will only show you the unpublished courses.
  • The Provisioning report will provide the status (published/unpublished) for all courses within your account.
  • FYI for advanced users, there is also an API call, List Active Courses in an Account​, that allows you to "GET" a list of all courses while setting the parameter to provide a listing of all published courses.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Amy,

You should be able to run an "Unpublished Courses" report from the admin account settings.  Here's the description of the report according to Canvas:

"The Unpublished Courses report shows all the courses for a given term that are not published. The resulting CSV file will have one row per course and will show the course id, course sis id, course short name, course name, course start and end dates."

Here's the Canvas Guide that talks about all of the admin reports, including the "unpublished courses" report: What Reports are available for an account?

I hope that helps.

liuz21
Community Participant

How can I get the published courses list, then?

From the SIS Export, I can generate the course or section report, which include all the published and unpublished courses. Is that correct?

What I want to get is the list of all the published courses in my institution in certain term.

Thanks!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @liuz21 ​...

While I don't have an answer for you, I wanted to let you know that I'm going to shorten the subject line of this posting since you are asking the same question in the body of your message.  If the revised subject line doesn't exactly reflect what you are asking, please let me know so that we can work to make any corrections.  The purpose of renaming the title is so that it is easy for people to search for should they have similar questions.  You've already got some great keywords for your posting, so that will help as well.  Hope this is ok with you.

jordan
Community Champion

1.png?shared_name=1ektsd61z50kudau1q67os6z3q1l8hw9Hi  @liuz21 ​ and thanks for posting this great question!

Get a list of all published/unpublished courses by doing the following: Visit your Admin Console > Settings > Reports > Provisioning > Configure... > Courses CSV

Note that there is a column in your CSV which shows "active" or "unpublished." The "active" courses are those which have been published. Smiley Wink

Summary:

• The SIS Exports report will provide all courses and will not tell you which are published or unpublished.
  • The Unpublished Courses report that  @canvas_admin ​ mentioned is great, but it will only show you the unpublished courses.
  • The Provisioning report will provide the status (published/unpublished) for all courses within your account.
  • FYI for advanced users, there is also an API call, List Active Courses in an Account​, that allows you to "GET" a list of all courses while setting the parameter to provide a listing of all published courses.

View solution in original post

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Thanks Deactivated user​ for filling in where my knowledge is lacking.  I was just thinking last night that there is probably a way to get published and unpublished by using reports in conjunction with each other.  I definitely need to take better advantage of these reports.  They are easy to forget since they are rather hidden. Smiley Happy

jordan
Community Champion

I hear ya, Mark! The reports are wonderful and each have their own unique info that they provide.

Truth be told, I spent over 2 hours last night trying to find out how to get this info via the API. I'm not API savvy at all so it really stretched me. I first found the API for courses, and was able to get a list returned with all the published courses that I was enrolled in! Yay! But not my whole institution. Smiley Sad  Then I found the Accounts API  and that the "list active courses" endpoint was there, which did exactly what I wanted. I ran that API using postman and got it to work!

In this process I learned that the Canvas API is set to only return 10 results by default. I have hundreds of courses in my account. Yikes! As I was learning all of this at the foot of  @ianm ​, I told him that I was ultimately trying to get a list of published courses. It was at that point that Ian said... have you checked the "Provisioning" report?  That was one of the few that I had not checked. Sure enough... there was the info we wanted!

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Deactivated user​,  Can you teach me Postman and API? Smiley Happy

I've been using Postman for course distribution a la this InstructureCon presentation, ​, but would love to be able to expand my capabilities with it. 

jordan
Community Champion

I could get on a call with you sometime next week and share with you what I learned in my tinkering 😉

canvas_admin
Community Champion

That would be awesome Deactivated user​