cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musselmane
Community Member

Publisher file preview

Jump to solution

When students submit a Publisher file for an assignment, it needs to be opened in Publisher before being able to view the file. 

This does not happen when a file is submitted as a Word document or Powerpoint presentation - they both open in Preview mode.   Having to open each file in Publisher is very time-consuming when you have to grade hundreds of projects. 

Anybody have a solution?

Thank you,

Eileen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@musselmane ​, the preview feature in SpeedGrader is powered by a third-party integration with Box. Neither Box nor its Crocodoc subsidiary support the .pub file type. My suggestion is to give your students instructions as to how to convert their Publisher file to a .pdf and restrict the file upload type for the assignment to .pdf so that you can readily view their submissions in SpeedGrader. You'll find instructions for Publisher 2016 and 2013 here: Save As or convert a publication to .pdf using Publisher - Publisher

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@musselmane ​, the preview feature in SpeedGrader is powered by a third-party integration with Box. Neither Box nor its Crocodoc subsidiary support the .pub file type. My suggestion is to give your students instructions as to how to convert their Publisher file to a .pdf and restrict the file upload type for the assignment to .pdf so that you can readily view their submissions in SpeedGrader. You'll find instructions for Publisher 2016 and 2013 here: Save As or convert a publication to .pdf using Publisher - Publisher

View solution in original post

millerjm
Community Champion

Hi Eileen, I taught publisher for many years but never in Canvas. 

however, I found that having students submit BOTH the publisher and the PDF files worked best.  I don't know if you are using the same book as i used but I would have them complete several files for each chapter and turn in all the files in both formats.  Having the PUB files let me know that they actually did them in publisher (I had a few who tried to do the assignments in word), and then I would use the PDF for grading.  having the PDF also took care of possibly having them use a font that I didn't have installed, and I could always refer to the PUB if I needed to check and see that they did something properly in publisher.  I knew the projects that I needed to look at in the most detail and what I needed to check for.  There were some chapters I didn't even need to open the pub files. 

Having speedgrader and canvas rubrics would have made grading so much nicer for my publisher class!!!

hopefully you can find a system that works for you and makes things more efficient! 

@musselmane ,  @millerjm ​ has given you great advice! Instructing the students to submit two files for each assignment submission will allow you to quickly review their work in the SpeedGrader via the PDF, and, if you think the submission warrants additional investigation, you can download the accompanying PUB file. To make the process smoother, you can give students instructions on how to submit multiple files to a single assignment submission (using +Add Another File as depicted here: How do I upload a file as an Assignment submission in Canvas?), and when you create the assignment, you can restrict the file upload types in the assignment settings to .pdf and .pub.

millerjm
Community Champion

@musselmane ​, this is what I used to put in my getting started portion of my course regarding how to turn in files.

Why do I have to convert my files to PDF???

I know that you will be thinking that the first time you do this.  And you might get somewhat annoyed with having to turn in two files for every single item you turn in.  It's mostly because every computer has a different set of fonts.  You might choose a font that I don't have, which is fine.  However, if you simply turn in your .pub file and I don't have that font, Publisher will substitute something else.  It usually doesn't look very good.  So, by converting your file to PDF, it's like you printed it on your computer and turned it in.  I also need the .pub file so that I can make sure that you did everything properly in publisher, but at least if the fonts aren't quite right, I'll know what it should look like. 

How do I convert my files to PDF???

[screenshot went here - it was very old!!!!]

• Make sure that you submit both files for each assignment file. 
  • There is NO NEED to purchase additional PDF conversion software for this course!  If you already have Adobe Professional, you can also use that to convert your file to PDF.

I would put this in the assignment instructions for each assignment:

Save your presentation as Pub1Lab followed by the lab that you selected and your initials. Please make sure that you indicate which lab you have selected in the filename.  Your file must have the .pub file extension in the file name.  Convert your file to PDF. Turn in both the PDF and the PUB file. 

I would count off 10% if they didn't turn in the PDF and I would make them resubmit or give them a zero if they didn't turn in the PUB, depending on how late it was in the course.