cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hemant
Community Member

QUIZZES.NEXT API

Jump to solution

Is it possible to access QUIZZES.NEXT using the API's that we used to access canvas quizzes like here. 

Quizzes - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michael-espey
Community Participant

Hello  @hemant ,

I too was interested in this functionality, and according to Canvas (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076-quizzesnext-faq#jive_content_id_Is_there_access_to_Qu...) there isn't support at the moment, but it supposed to be coming.

Personally, I am not holding my breath, but it is good to know that they recognise this as something that is needed before widespread adoption of Quizzes.Next can happen.

Hopefully this helps, but let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thank you,

Michael

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @hemant  Welcome to the Canvas Community! I've shared your question with the Quizzes.Next User Group‌ and Canvas Developers‌ to attract the eyes of those people most likely to be able to provide you assistance. You won't need to join those groups to see their answers appear here, but if you'd like to join one or both, you can easily do so by clicking on the link to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown that appears at the upper right of the group home page.

michael-espey
Community Participant

Hello  @hemant ,

I too was interested in this functionality, and according to Canvas (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076-quizzesnext-faq#jive_content_id_Is_there_access_to_Qu...) there isn't support at the moment, but it supposed to be coming.

Personally, I am not holding my breath, but it is good to know that they recognise this as something that is needed before widespread adoption of Quizzes.Next can happen.

Hopefully this helps, but let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thank you,

Michael

View solution in original post

jsimon3
Community Participant

&& bump

uwe_zimmermann
Community Participant

One year later and still no update on this front it seems.

Finally my university has given me access to their installation of Canvas where quizzes.next is available - as opposed to the free implementation.

While I really like the new design and especially question types like "hot spot" I would hate to have to compromise against being able to create complex "formula questions". The built-in editor is hardly usable for anything more advanced than the suggested "what is 5 plus x" types of questions.

I am also afraid, that from one day to another our administrators or Canvas will decide to discontinue the "old" quiz system. So what is the status, what is the time plan, will there be an API???

Uwe.

jago_brown
Community Participant

We too would like an API to create new quiz engine (shells) with sis / integration_ids - for starters.

Worried that it is not on the Timeline:

NewQuizzesTimeline.png

and can't find even a mention in API docs today
https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/

Has developing the new quiz engine as a (standalone?) LTI tool made developing an open API this more difficult? or too difficult?

Jago

mike_cowen
Community Member

While the API is not documented, it is definitely able to be seen in the Developer Tools > Network tab of your browser.  By creating a quiz and a question in the UI, all the parameters, etc. can be seen & copied.  If you have not tried the Developer tools before, check out the "Finding the API" section of this site: http://www.gregreda.com/2015/02/15/web-scraping-finding-the-api/ or try a quick youtube search for "finding hidden apis". 

I could only hypothesize as to why the API is not yet documented, but in the meantime at least it can be seen and possibly used.

I hope this helps!

jhveem
Community Participant

They're not documented because they're not really usable. Those API calls are all being run from within the iframe generated when running a new quiz. If you try to run them on a canvas page or in any external programs, you'll get a CORS error.