cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skreitzer
Community Contributor

Question Banks v. Question Groups v. Individual Questions

Jump to solution

I'm having trouble understanding the difference between question groups, question banks, and individual questions you add to a quiz.  I think I understand that question groups are used when you want to assign students a certain number of questions and not every student gets the same questions.  Do those questions in a group come from a question bank?  When you add individual questions to a quiz, does that quiz turn into a question bank?  If not, where do question banks come from?  I've played around with it and can seem to make quizzes work the way teachers want them to, but I don't really understand what I'm doing.  I watched the two instructor videos and read some of the guides and am still confused.  Can anyone help/ 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
snugent
Community Champion

Hi Stacy

It is pretty confusing about question banks and question groups in Canvas. I think you have a good understanding of question groups. Unfortunately, there are a lot of issues with the question banks currently. Good news is that Instructure folks are working on it. Check out the Modern Quizzing Engine   (link not accessible now; Use this link instead) in Canvas Studio for more details.

Here is what I tell our faculty currently about question banks, question groups, and creating questions in Quizzes.

Here is a video I created about question banks.

In a quiz you have the following options. I recommend creating or importing all your questions in the question banks. Be sure they are organized as you desire and then use option 3 below. 

1. Create Questions

Choose this option to create questions directly in the quiz. There are some issues to be aware so this option is generally NOT recommended for the following reasons:

• No link to question in a quiz to questions in question bank - When questions are created directly in quiz a copy of the questions is stored in a question bank called Unfiled Questions. You can move the move questions to another bank if desired; however, there is no link to the question in the bank to the question in the quiz. If you revise a question in a quiz, it WILL NOT update the same question in the bank. DO NOT REVISE questions in a quiz. The revisions made to questions in quiz will NOT update the same questions in question bank. Revise questions in the question banks. Then remove old questions from the quiz or create a new quiz. Use option 3 to add questions to the quiz.
  • Question Bank Disorganization - If an instructor creates two or more quizzes using the create question option in quiz, ALL the questions from all quizzes will be stored in the Unfiled Question bank. Instructors can move the questions later to another bank or create a new one; however, the work flow is not the best and it is easy to forget to do this. Do not create questions directly in quiz. Create questions in the question bank first or import them from a textbook publisher resource or from Respondus.

2. New Question Group

Question groups allow instructors organize a large number of questions into groups in the quiz with the option to select the desired number of questions to display on the quiz with a set point value for all questions in the group. When the point value is set for the group it will override the point value set at the question level.

There are two ways to add questions to a group. Choose the option that works best for you.

1. Adding Questions to a group - Questions can be added to a group by clicking and dragging each question into the group space. Dragging and dropping questions into question groups is fairly easy for a few questions, but if there are several questions in the quiz that need to be added to a group this can become tedious. It is generally not recommended to create questions directly in the quiz for this reason. However, the question auto regrade option will be available when questions are added to question groups. Note: If working with a quiz imported from test generator software, the questions will typically be listed in the quiz with no groups. If working with a quiz with more than 25 questions, it will be difficult to manage and reorganize the quiz questions. It is generally recommended to delete the quiz. Create a new quiz and use the Find Question option (see below) for adding the questions to the quiz.  A copy of the imported questions will be stored in the question banks.
  2. Linking to a Question Bank – Create a new question group in the quiz. Click the Link to Bank option and select a question bank.  Each question group can only link to one question bank. IMPORTANT! When a question bank is linked to a group, any question with an error will only need to edited once;however, the automatic regrade option will NOT be available for any questions in the linked bank. Students submissions must be manually regraded.
  3. No matter which way you choose you can edit the point value for the questions and the number of questions that will display in the group by click the pencil icon in the group. Please note the set point value in a question group trumps the point value of a single question. If you have a question that needs to have a different point value, create a separate group or remove the question from the group.

3. Find Questions

The Find Questions option is generally the best option for adding questions to quiz. Click Find Questions to locate questions in a question bank. In the Find dialog box select questions by bank from the left pane. Questions will appear on right pane and can be selected and added to a question group. Check the box next to an individual question OR click Select All.  It is important to note that if question bank has a large number of questions, not all the questions will display in the right pane. If using the Select All option NOT all questions in the question bank will be selected until the instructor scrolls down the right pane and clicks more questions. This may take two or three scrolls up and down and clicking more questions a couple of times before all questions will display in the right pane and can be selected. Then click Select All and scroll down to add the questions to question group. Note: It is highly recommend that questions be added to questions groups in Find Questions Dialog box. It is far easier to manage questions in a quiz when they are stored in question groups. The only exception to this rule would be when questions in the quiz should not be randomized.

View solution in original post

mdunn_adjunct
Community Participant

"Good news is that Instructure folks are working on it."

Bad news: They're still working on it.  Good news: They know you want them to work on it.  Bad news: Working on it some more.  Good news: You know that they know they're supposed to be working on it.  Bad news: . . . . it's 2020.

6 Replies
snugent
Community Champion

Hi Stacy

It is pretty confusing about question banks and question groups in Canvas. I think you have a good understanding of question groups. Unfortunately, there are a lot of issues with the question banks currently. Good news is that Instructure folks are working on it. Check out the Modern Quizzing Engine   (link not accessible now; Use this link instead) in Canvas Studio for more details.

Here is what I tell our faculty currently about question banks, question groups, and creating questions in Quizzes.

Here is a video I created about question banks.

In a quiz you have the following options. I recommend creating or importing all your questions in the question banks. Be sure they are organized as you desire and then use option 3 below. 

1. Create Questions

Choose this option to create questions directly in the quiz. There are some issues to be aware so this option is generally NOT recommended for the following reasons:

• No link to question in a quiz to questions in question bank - When questions are created directly in quiz a copy of the questions is stored in a question bank called Unfiled Questions. You can move the move questions to another bank if desired; however, there is no link to the question in the bank to the question in the quiz. If you revise a question in a quiz, it WILL NOT update the same question in the bank. DO NOT REVISE questions in a quiz. The revisions made to questions in quiz will NOT update the same questions in question bank. Revise questions in the question banks. Then remove old questions from the quiz or create a new quiz. Use option 3 to add questions to the quiz.
  • Question Bank Disorganization - If an instructor creates two or more quizzes using the create question option in quiz, ALL the questions from all quizzes will be stored in the Unfiled Question bank. Instructors can move the questions later to another bank or create a new one; however, the work flow is not the best and it is easy to forget to do this. Do not create questions directly in quiz. Create questions in the question bank first or import them from a textbook publisher resource or from Respondus.

2. New Question Group

Question groups allow instructors organize a large number of questions into groups in the quiz with the option to select the desired number of questions to display on the quiz with a set point value for all questions in the group. When the point value is set for the group it will override the point value set at the question level.

There are two ways to add questions to a group. Choose the option that works best for you.

1. Adding Questions to a group - Questions can be added to a group by clicking and dragging each question into the group space. Dragging and dropping questions into question groups is fairly easy for a few questions, but if there are several questions in the quiz that need to be added to a group this can become tedious. It is generally not recommended to create questions directly in the quiz for this reason. However, the question auto regrade option will be available when questions are added to question groups. Note: If working with a quiz imported from test generator software, the questions will typically be listed in the quiz with no groups. If working with a quiz with more than 25 questions, it will be difficult to manage and reorganize the quiz questions. It is generally recommended to delete the quiz. Create a new quiz and use the Find Question option (see below) for adding the questions to the quiz.  A copy of the imported questions will be stored in the question banks.
  2. Linking to a Question Bank – Create a new question group in the quiz. Click the Link to Bank option and select a question bank.  Each question group can only link to one question bank. IMPORTANT! When a question bank is linked to a group, any question with an error will only need to edited once;however, the automatic regrade option will NOT be available for any questions in the linked bank. Students submissions must be manually regraded.
  3. No matter which way you choose you can edit the point value for the questions and the number of questions that will display in the group by click the pencil icon in the group. Please note the set point value in a question group trumps the point value of a single question. If you have a question that needs to have a different point value, create a separate group or remove the question from the group.

3. Find Questions

The Find Questions option is generally the best option for adding questions to quiz. Click Find Questions to locate questions in a question bank. In the Find dialog box select questions by bank from the left pane. Questions will appear on right pane and can be selected and added to a question group. Check the box next to an individual question OR click Select All.  It is important to note that if question bank has a large number of questions, not all the questions will display in the right pane. If using the Select All option NOT all questions in the question bank will be selected until the instructor scrolls down the right pane and clicks more questions. This may take two or three scrolls up and down and clicking more questions a couple of times before all questions will display in the right pane and can be selected. Then click Select All and scroll down to add the questions to question group. Note: It is highly recommend that questions be added to questions groups in Find Questions Dialog box. It is far easier to manage questions in a quiz when they are stored in question groups. The only exception to this rule would be when questions in the quiz should not be randomized.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Briefly stated, question groups reside within quizzes and their two-fold purpose is to organize questions within a quiz and present the questions in the group in randomized order. A question group does not exist outside of the quiz in which it has been created. A question bank is a question repository. It can be bookmarked and shared across multiple courses. It exists outside of the quiz. When questions are created in the course of creating a quiz--created "on the fly," as it were--they are also stored in a question bank called Unfiled Questions.

The quiz nomenclature has baffled many before you,  @skreitzer ​. This relatively recent discussion about question groups and banks might help: Question Banks and Question Groups

pbh0005
Community Member

This may be the single best comment I have seen on any of the Canvas community threads. Thank you very much.

snugent
Community Champion

Thank you Ben. I just want to note that quizzes.next fixes most of the issues I described in my post. 

mdunn_adjunct
Community Participant

"Good news is that Instructure folks are working on it."

Bad news: They're still working on it.  Good news: They know you want them to work on it.  Bad news: Working on it some more.  Good news: You know that they know they're supposed to be working on it.  Bad news: . . . . it's 2020.

bmarton
Community Participant

This is really useful information. I am wondering what would be the best method for very large classes of 500, 800 and wanting randomization but avoiding regrade manually if possible? Does anyone know of the best way to build quizzes for large classes?

Thank you