cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
called2joy
Community Participant

Question ID Problem When Copying Course

Jump to solution

Hi! My courses team is having a problem copying courses to create updated versions. When we create a new copy of a course, the question ID's are changing, making it a nightmare to track questions between the courses. Can anyone tell me what we're doing wrong or give me an idea of how to keep the same questions ID's when I copy a course?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

You don't get to keep the same question ID's. The best you could currently do is to create your own database of question IDs and what they are in the different courses.

The following is not tested,but I believe it will work.

That doesn't mean that you have to create the list manually, though. You should be able to fetch the questions using the API (or better yet from Canvas Data) and match on some key identifiers like the text of the question. If you wanted to do tracking over the terms, you could join the Canvas Data to that table using a many-to-one relationship and then analyze based off that field.

Either way, getting it out of Canvas through the UI isn't going to be speedy. The closest would be to pick the same quiz from multiple courses, do the student analysis from the Quiz statistics page to get an Excel spreadsheet, and then grab the question IDs and text from the top row. The API or Canvas Data would be a much faster way, but requires some more advanced skills (The Excel export isn't for novices)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

I do not think it is possible to keep the same question IDs when create a copy of a course.  I would recommend opening a ticket with Canvas support as they would have more information on the copy process than we do in the community.

Robbie

Yes, from my experience the ID's are not something that copy over to new courses. I agree with Robbie in opening a ticket with Canvas support.

How do I file a ticket with Canvas Support from the Community?

James
Community Champion

You don't get to keep the same question ID's. The best you could currently do is to create your own database of question IDs and what they are in the different courses.

The following is not tested,but I believe it will work.

That doesn't mean that you have to create the list manually, though. You should be able to fetch the questions using the API (or better yet from Canvas Data) and match on some key identifiers like the text of the question. If you wanted to do tracking over the terms, you could join the Canvas Data to that table using a many-to-one relationship and then analyze based off that field.

Either way, getting it out of Canvas through the UI isn't going to be speedy. The closest would be to pick the same quiz from multiple courses, do the student analysis from the Quiz statistics page to get an Excel spreadsheet, and then grab the question IDs and text from the top row. The API or Canvas Data would be a much faster way, but requires some more advanced skills (The Excel export isn't for novices)

View solution in original post