cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ginger_england

Question Narrative

Jump to solution

Is there a way to attach a narrative to multiple questions?  For example, if there is an excerpt for students to read and then answer 5 related questions, can the excerpt be related to all of the questions so that it doesn't have to be entered and possibly displayed with each question?  Other examples would be a map or timeline related to several questions.

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ginger_england ​...

The easiest way to probably do this would be to use the "Text (no question)" question type when building your quiz.  You can put this before your group of questions and add any text or attachments that you'd like your students to view before answering the questions.

TextQuestion.jpg

Hope this helps!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ginger_england ​...

The easiest way to probably do this would be to use the "Text (no question)" question type when building your quiz.  You can put this before your group of questions and add any text or attachments that you'd like your students to view before answering the questions.

TextQuestion.jpg

Hope this helps!!

ginger_england

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the quick response.  I should have mentioned that I also want to place these types of questions in a question bank. I don't see a way to keep the text and questions together when selecting from the bank for use.  Ideas?

@ginger_england ​, this related discussion provides some guidance on how to manage the Text-No Question types in question banks: How do I add questions based on a passage in the Quiz?

Otherwise, if this method won't work for you, and/or if you want to randomize all of the questions in the quiz, the only way you'd be able to accomplish this is by putting the passage in every associated quiz question.

Instructure is currently in the midst of a major quiz refactor, and it's quite likely that this question type will be one of the scenarios covered by the project. I recommend that you add your feedback to the lively discussion underway at Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​.

Thank you!  I thought there must be something in the works for this, but didn't see it when I searched.