Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsmith14

Quiz Answers

Jump to solution

I've been through the guide on how to View student results in a quiz (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12791-415276769), but where is that data stored?  I want to be able to see a list of quiz questions and answers for more than one student at a time so that I can assess the quiz' effectiveness. If the students are all stumbling at certain questions, we need to judge whether the questions are useful. I don't seem to be able to see it in Canvas data, so could it be somewhere else?

1 Solution
bbennett2
Community Champion

There are two other options for you: Quiz Statistics and Moderate This Quiz.

Quiz Statistics give a high-level overview of all attempts. It also includes an Item Analysis report showing question-by-question responses. You can download this report as an Excel file to do more in-depth analysis if you want to.

The Moderate view is nice because you can quickly scan total scores, how many attempts a student has made, as well as the time they spent on the last attempt. I use that screen for quick glances and a general vibe of the quiz and then dive deeper into the Stats once I'm ready.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bbennett2
Community Champion

There are two other options for you: Quiz Statistics and Moderate This Quiz.

Quiz Statistics give a high-level overview of all attempts. It also includes an Item Analysis report showing question-by-question responses. You can download this report as an Excel file to do more in-depth analysis if you want to.

The Moderate view is nice because you can quickly scan total scores, how many attempts a student has made, as well as the time they spent on the last attempt. I use that screen for quick glances and a general vibe of the quiz and then dive deeper into the Stats once I'm ready.

James
Community Champion

@bsmith14 ,

Since you're only given Canvas Data to play with, I suspect we're going to have a repeat of the discussion about time spent in the course, just without the comments about how worthless that data is. As before, your API buddy will have lots of work to do if these are the questions that need answered.

The last time I checked, the questions that are used in an assessment show up in Canvas Data, but there is no information about which students receive those questions or what answers the students gave to those responses. You can look and see what percent of questions are multiple choice, the average number of questions on a quiz, and other items like that, but you won't be able to get down to the user-level.

Someone with teacher or admin access through the web interface can, as  @bbennett2  mentioned, use the Student Analysis report under Quiz Statistics. That generates a CSV file that contains one row for each student and each attempt (multiple attempts generate multiple rows) and two columns for each question (the first is the student response and the second is the student score). That report can be generated through the API, so your colleague with that responsibility could generate these and then pass them off to you for analysis.

Depending on the type of question, the usefulness is limited (multiple answers get comma separated and the order is not guaranteed, so if you have a comma in one of your answers, you may have trouble telling separating the responses). If you're comparing results across multiple courses, then you have to have some way of identifying the questions because they get different ID numbers with each course. Some people have written R programs to analyze this. There are several threads in the Community about the issues associated with this report, but I won't go into them since you're working with the SQL side of things in Canvas Data.

If you want the questions and responses in a more computer-friendly format (JSON as opposed to CSV), the Submissions API will give you the questions and the individual responses to those questions. It not documented, though, and I stumbled across it in October 2018 (others may have already known about it before this). If you fetch the submissions for the quiz assignments and include the submission_history, then it will return the responses for the quizzes (note, this is not quiz submissions, it's assignment submissions when the assignment happens to be a quiz). It seems a poor placement as it's not history as much as response detail, but that's where it's at. Since it's undocumented, it could change, but given that Canvas isn't actively developing the legacy quizzes, its' unlikely to disappear.

Another options is the Quiz Statistics API. It provides summary results for each of the question types, similar to what Brian mentioned, but it's available through the API so you don't have to log in. What you get varies depending on the type of question. For example, the multiple choice questions give each response, the number of people who took gave that response, Cronbach's alpha, point biserials, and other values. It does not provide any individual user-level details. Another issue that you may run into here is that it may come back with nothing. If there are too many quizzes or too many students taking the quiz, then Canvas doesn't compute these statistics.

However, sadly for you, none of this is in Canvas Data.

The questions they're asking you to solve are great questions, but they're not giving you the right data to answer those questions. You may need to work with your API person to come up with your own warehouse of Canvas Data. That's what people used to do before Canvas Data was available. It's what I had to do last October / November when I was pulling information to send to our early alert software.