cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amber
Community Member

Quiz Auto-submission

Jump to solution

I am using a quiz with no time limit, but a due date. I have several students that opened the quizzes, but did not submit. The quiz submitted for them before the due date. When would this occur and how can I prevent this in the future?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nr2522
Community Champion

Found it: Change quiz due date after it became available

The answer comes from an Instructure employee: Renee Carney, Community Manager.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi amber​.  Do you have a screen capture of what is on your quiz settings screen?  A due date alone would not cause an auto-submission. It will simply warn the student it will be marked as "late" as outlined here:  How do I take a Quiz?  (By the way, in addition to Instructure's various quiz help screens, I highly recommend  @kona ​' outstanding guide to quiz security that is published here: Quiz Settings to Maximize Security . Even if you are not necessarily interested in setting a "high security" quiz, Kona gives outstanding information on what all of the settings will or will not do.  I have sent many faculty members that link!)  My other thought is if the quiz is in a Module with some sort of odd setting, but even then I cannot think of a case where it would cause an auto-submission.

amber
Community Member

Here is the review quiz. It is part of a module, but the module does not

have a time limit or requirement on it. I did need to change the due date

it, but did that before the original deadline had expired. The original

deadline was Feb 1 at 5pm. I changed it at 10:06am Feb 1st. The quizzes

auto-submitted on Feb 1 at 5pm. So, do you think if the quizzes are open,

the original settings would be in effect, even changed later???

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 8:46 AM, kblack@dom.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

kblack
Community Champion

Thank you for that screen capture.  Looking at that, the quiz should not have auto-submitted until February 3 at 5:00 p.m.  (Again, it would be the UNTIL date that dictates the auto submission and not the due date.)  While editing a quiz that has already been taken is never a great idea, extending a date should not be an issue.  This may be something to submit a ticket to Instructure on, barring any other ideas from the Community here.  (Individual student time zone settings can also play into due dates/times, but not by two days!)

nr2522
Community Champion

Hi, Amber.

I recall seeing another discussion on here that supported your theory. Changes made to a quiz will not affect any students who have already started it. This falls under the principle of not changing the route in the middle of the race or something like that. Not everyone agreed with the principle.

nr2522
Community Champion

Found it: Change quiz due date after it became available

The answer comes from an Instructure employee: Renee Carney, Community Manager.

View solution in original post

kblack
Community Champion

Wow...good catch,  @nr2522 ​.  I remember seeing that, too, and completely forgot about it.  Further proof that short-term memory starts failing after age 50!

amber
Community Member

Thank you!

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:19 AM, nr2522@columbia.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>