Quiz/Exam: Fill in a grid

Jump to solution
jherring
Community Novice

I'm in the process of converting my written tests over to canvas and I've run into a snag for my end of semester final. Is it possible for students to fill in a grid?
266624_pastedImage_1.png

I can build this in the question using a table. 
My final has 40 questions for 80% of the grade and this grid counts for 20% and  I figured I would treat this as a single question worth 20% and manually enter the grade for it. 

Any thoughts or advice on how to pull this off would be greatly appreciated. 

Jeff

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jherring ‌ - I do not have anything close to a definitive answer for this, but allow me to point you in a few possible directions based on some Canvas Community questions/discussions that have popped up in the past regarding this.  Since you are comfortable using tables, depending on what you want IN those table cells, you may want to consider using a series of drop-down menus.  I can't find a good example of this off-hand, other than a good illustration provided here:  How can I make a table with drop-downs in Quizzes LTI?  Please do not let the topic of the new Quizzes LTI throw you off.   @rebecca_haukaas  is asking if something that she did on the current quiz engine will work with the new one under development.  You likely are using the "old" (meaning current) quiz engine rather than the still-in-Beta Quizzes LTI. Rebecca's screen capture on that question, however, shows what I have in mind as a possible solution for you.

You may also want to check the following two resources:

Both of those deal with numeric-type answers, though, and I'm not sure if that's what you have in mind based on your example.  (I suspect not; at least not for all of them.)

Perhaps some of this information will be of help, Jeff. I am sure other brighter minds in the Community may have some of their own suggestions.

View solution in original post