cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Quiz Setting: Only Once After Each Attempt?

Jump to solution

I am just looking for a bit of clarification please. I have wondered about this because when selecting the "Only Once After Each Attemptis" option, the quiz "Details" say:  View Responses = Always. This always struck me as odd. Then I was reading the information about Quiz Settings at Quiz Settings to Maximize Security , and I noticed what I am hoping is just a typo, and that the word "not" (blue text below) is missing from the following passage? Otherwise, I have been misunderstanding the "Only Once After Each Attempt" option for some time now Smiley Sad. Here is the passage:

"Only Once After Each Attempt - This checkbox option allows students to see (1) the quiz questions & answer options, (2) the answer options the student selected, (3) if they got a question incorrect or partially incorrect, and (4) ALL question feedback, but only ONCE after they have submitted a quiz. In a proctored environment this is a useful setting because students will get to see feedback from the quiz, but it is only visible immediately after submitting the quiz. If the student goes back to the quiz they will see their score for the quiz, but none of the other quiz information (1-4 above) will [not] be visible." 

Was this just a typo, or have I been misunderstanding the "Only Once After Each Attempt" option? Along these same lines, am I correct in assuming that when using this option students cannot see 1-4 after their last attempt (once they exit the quiz page). Thank you for your help.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@kimberly_smith1 ,

@kona , who wrote the document you're asking about, is on vacation and currently doing laundry, so she asked me to respond.

That is not a typo. Nor, would it make sense grammatically to add "not" where you want it since "none" is already at the beginning of the sentence.

But, now that James brought it up and had her look at it, Kona is now chiming in on James' post. 🙂

The wording of quiz options can often be tricky and to answer your question, yes, you are correct "...in assuming that when using this option students cannot see 1-4 after their last attempt (once they exit the quiz page)." Sorry for any confusion and I hope this helps!

James is back now. It does what it says -- students can always see the feedback, but only once after each submission. Our health professions faculty (among others) love this for their proctored exams.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
James
Community Champion

@kimberly_smith1 ,

@kona , who wrote the document you're asking about, is on vacation and currently doing laundry, so she asked me to respond.

That is not a typo. Nor, would it make sense grammatically to add "not" where you want it since "none" is already at the beginning of the sentence.

But, now that James brought it up and had her look at it, Kona is now chiming in on James' post. 🙂

The wording of quiz options can often be tricky and to answer your question, yes, you are correct "...in assuming that when using this option students cannot see 1-4 after their last attempt (once they exit the quiz page)." Sorry for any confusion and I hope this helps!

James is back now. It does what it says -- students can always see the feedback, but only once after each submission. Our health professions faculty (among others) love this for their proctored exams.

View solution in original post

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Thank you James and Kona for the clarification,

Not sure how I missed the 'none' in that sentence when I read it the first time 😕  which of course makes my question nonsensical. Sorry about that. 

mdanza
Community Participant

I had the same question.  Glad I'm not the only one...

However,  it still doesn't make sense to me why Canvas would use the phrase 

"View Responses Always" when this option is selected.