Quiz Spelling and Case Sensitivity

Jump to solution
dsedia
Community Member

I understand that Canvas is very sensitive when it comes to student "fill in the blank" responses. This year I am having to address more issues with quizzes than previous years. I am reinforcing the habit with my students to check spelling and rules of capitalization and punctuation. What are the specific rules that Canvas runs off of with fill in the blank answers? I ask this because my students do not capitalize an answer and they get the item correct even if the correct answer is capitalized. However, today several students input their answers correctly and canvas marked them wrong and automatically lower cased the answer. This was my entire class of students that had this issue. 

2 Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hi Dorothy,

According to the documentation, "Currently, fill-in-the-blank answers are not case sensitive. The only way a student will get the answer incorrect is if it is left blank or the answer is misspelled. You can click Add Another Answer to add as many different versions of the correct answer as possible if you desire."

How do I create a Fill-in-the-Blank quiz question? 

Mike

View solution in original post

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @dsedia ...

With the new Quizzes.Next quizzing engine that has been released recently, fill-in-the-blank question types now have some additional options, including case-sensitive answers.  Check out this documentation: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15069-4152780601  You might want to check with your school's local Canvas administrator to see if they have considered using the new Quizzes.Next quizzing engine.  Hope this helps!

View solution in original post