Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rstewart1
Community Member

Quiz edits do not save

Jump to solution

I have had several occasions where I've had to change an answer to a quiz.  I'm not sure why incorrect answers are loaded, but this is not my question for now.  When I change the answer, direct Canvas to give credit for both previously correct and updated answers, click save -- no change is made.  I have tried refreshing my browser to recheck.

I'm not sure what I need to be doing to make these changes.  I have Master Courses that are transferred each term, so I make sure to correct the answers there, as well.  In spite of my frequent edits, the same mistakes appear.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  I've checked the manuals and I see no "troubleshooting" answers for this particular problem.

Thanks so much,

Robbin

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rstewart1 ​, are you using question banks? Just wondering if it's an issue where the question is being changed in the quiz, but not in the bank (or vice versa). They aren't linked if you add the questions to the quiz rather than linking them from the bank to the quiz.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rstewart1 ​, are you using question banks? Just wondering if it's an issue where the question is being changed in the quiz, but not in the bank (or vice versa). They aren't linked if you add the questions to the quiz rather than linking them from the bank to the quiz.

View solution in original post

rstewart1
Community Member

No, I've not used question banks.  Didn't even know about them in Canvas, but just looked and found that each course has a question bank, which I assume is "portable"?  I suppose I need to reenter all my questions in the bank, then pull from these. Because I always made course changes in my Master course, I assumed these would transfer. 

We had a school-wide syllabus update that included changes, so it affected student feedback in a number of areas.  I thought I was losing my mind, because I made changes to items and they would not "stick."  I even began using screen shots to verify (to myself) that I had updated the materials. 

Thanks so much for your answer, Kona.  I have some work to do!

Blessings,

Robbin

ely
Community Member

When updating (or creating) a question, you need to press the "Update question" button, before you save the quiz. If you skip the forst bit, your edits wont save. I just spent an hour writing feedback on a series of possible answers, and forgot to press the update question button. 😕

There should at least be some warning when pressing Save, that you haven't updated some of the questions.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hello  @kona  ,

I have a related question that I am hoping you can help with? 

I often create question groups within a quiz, and link those to question banks. I sometimes discover that a change is needed to a question. Once I have made a change to the question in the bank, and save the changes there, is there a way to go back to the quiz itself and save those changes to the quiz immediately? In these situations, I will eventually see a message at the top of the quiz itself which says that a change was made, and to "Save it Now" (so that students see the changes). However, this is not immediate. In fact, sometimes it takes over 24 hrs before that message appears at the top of the quiz. Is there some way to go into the quiz and force those changes to a save right away? I have tried selecting Edit, and then saving. I have also tried re-linking the question groups in the quiz to the question banks (e.g. 'Update Group'), and then saving. However, it appears the changes I made do not actually show up within the quiz itself until after I have access to that 'Save it Now' button - which sometimes takes a long time to display. Thank you.

@kimberly_smith1 , this is a good question and I'm not honestly sure of the answer. I tend to not link to question banks and instead copy the questions from the question banks. This way any update I make is immediate. My recommendation is to contact Canvas Support to see if they know the answer to this... and then let us know what you find out!

Sorry I couldn't help! Kona

@kimberly_smith1 , did you ever submit to Canvas support and get a response? I support an instructor who has this happen frequently and is very frustrated by the inability to have the updates displayed in student quizzes until he gets that message. I advised him to preview the quiz after making the changes, but he said that they DO show with the corrections in the preview, just not for the actual students.

I would appreciate any assistance anyone could provide about this.

Best,

Suzanne

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hi Kona,

I pull questions randomly for quizzes/exams from the Question Banks (so students do not receive exact same questions) because I don't use monitoring services (Respondus, etc.). But, thank you for comment.

I contacted my institution's Canvas support team first. They are usually very helpful, but they could not answer this one. When reaching out to Canvas Instructure Support I received the standard "clear cache", "try a different browser", etc. response. Since this is usually the response I receive from them, and because I already do those things before submitting a ticket anyway, I seldom submit actual tickets anymore. I tend to find more help here in the Community blog instead.