cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mohanned_neamah

Quiz grade display options: show as letter grade

Jump to solution

Greetings!

Just wanted to say first thank you all very much for a very well made platform and great help content! you all are awesome!

My question is: When I make an "Assignment" I have the "Display Grade as" option, in which I can choose to display the results as letter grade or percentage ... etc, and that's what most students prefer as they can relate more to letter grade.

While creating "Quiz" doesn't give this "Display Grade as" option, which I think would be great to have.

But, the thing that I noticed is that I can change the display of a quiz result to letter grade only through Speed grader Mobile app

I wonder is this the only way ?, and if yes why it's not implemented in the web version ?

Kindly see attached pictures.

Thank you very much in advance!

Mohanned

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @mohanned_neamah ​ - 

I don't have any of the editing powers in the Community that others have, but I am replying to this in hopes that it moves up a list and perhaps prompts others to say something, given that you have not received a response yet.  It appears that you have stumped the Community so far, and perhaps someone who knows the right people to "tag" at Instructure can bring this to their attention.  But you are absolutely correct; there is no way to do this from all appearances, and yet it is a setting that exists when creating a graded Assignment or graded Discussion.  My guess is it may be because Canvas does not "know" how much the quiz will be worth until all of the questions and their respective point values have been input into the QUESTIONS area of a quiz, but still--one would think that you can edit it later and then have that as an option.  I was reminded of seeing your question because of a somewhat similar question posed here:  Is it possible to view quiz results as a percentage instead of points correct?

I'm beginning to wonder if the best option may be to create a Feature Idea as outlined here: How do I create a new feature idea?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @mohanned_neamah ​ - 

I don't have any of the editing powers in the Community that others have, but I am replying to this in hopes that it moves up a list and perhaps prompts others to say something, given that you have not received a response yet.  It appears that you have stumped the Community so far, and perhaps someone who knows the right people to "tag" at Instructure can bring this to their attention.  But you are absolutely correct; there is no way to do this from all appearances, and yet it is a setting that exists when creating a graded Assignment or graded Discussion.  My guess is it may be because Canvas does not "know" how much the quiz will be worth until all of the questions and their respective point values have been input into the QUESTIONS area of a quiz, but still--one would think that you can edit it later and then have that as an option.  I was reminded of seeing your question because of a somewhat similar question posed here:  Is it possible to view quiz results as a percentage instead of points correct?

I'm beginning to wonder if the best option may be to create a Feature Idea as outlined here: How do I create a new feature idea?

garth
Community Champion

Wow, this is something I had never noticed before, very interesting.

Doing the math to calculate a percentage grade is easy enough, so I would think the grading scheme for the course would kick in by default to display a letter grade.

You are not the first to ask about it, there is an archived idea:

Bring this back to life!

I'll vote on it for sure.

mohanned_neamah

Thank you  @garth  and  @kblack   for your reply and support

I have created a new idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6351

Let's hope this work!, Thank you again!

rmthomas
Community Member

I get this question a lot from faculty, so it is nice to know that they can in the app. Thank you.

admdap01

Can we make this a feature request???

gary_bartlett

Did anything ever happen with this? It seems like the ability to show letter grades for quizzes now does not exist on the app, either. (Maybe it went away when Canvas for Teachers replaced the old Speedgrader app?) It seems like a really strange oversight that quiz results can't be shown as grades.

edelswardc

Agreed.  Why hasn't this been changed?  It's been years!   

My school has a weird grading system going on during distance learning, and being able to display the letter grade would be much less confusing for my students.  

It makes no sense that we can't.  

ANDREC1
Community Member

Has there been any movement on this? From my teacher end it doesn't appear so. I use a letter grading system that allows me tailor assignment grades to say for example "F - min F" or "F - recommend revision" etc. but I can't use my grading scheme on quizzes which is a large number of the overall assignments. Why have a grading scheme function if you can't use it in all assignments/quizzes in the course?