cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christophe_bree
Community Participant

Quiz: ip filtering

Jump to solution

When you want to use IP filtering for a Quiz, which IP range do you have to enter?

The internal IP-range or the External IP address of the university?

- When I access the Canvas LMS from a computer at the university, then that computer will have been assigned an internal IP address. So checking for the external IP address will give an error?

- But when you enter the internal IP-range, then it might be that a student computer at home has also been given an ip address in that range (since internal IP-addresses are not unique)? 

Thanks,

Christophe

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@christophe_bree , from the limited work that I’ve done with filtering IP addresses for quizzing in Canvas, I’d say make sure you read this - https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/IP_Filtering_in_Canvas.pdf - and make sure to get the IT people at your school involved. 

Kona

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@christophe_bree , from the limited work that I’ve done with filtering IP addresses for quizzing in Canvas, I’d say make sure you read this - https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/IP_Filtering_in_Canvas.pdf - and make sure to get the IT people at your school involved. 

Kona

dschuma
Community Participant

Has anyone tried using a list of CIDR blocks in a filter?  The documentation explicitly states a list of addresses can be created.  We have a need to build a list of blocks in a single filter.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
redie_ramos

This will depend on the IP address of the client/user that your Canvas server instance detect.

Commonly, if your Canvas LMS web server is being access from a remote location, you will need to put Public IP address on the IP Filter because local IP addresses are NATted and only the Public IP address is visible on the server. (e.g. user accessing content from home and the server is inside the school/cloud/hosting provider. as long as remote location without any VPN)

If your Canvas LMS is hosted on premise and the users are accessing it privately (server is accessed on its private IP address), no NAT is present and/or traffic is not routed to the Internet, you should put the private IP/subnet of whom should access your Canvas LMS.