cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vnieders
Community Participant

Quiz partial randomization and choose essay question

I am editing an exam and it includes both multiple choice and essay options. I am wondering if there is a way to

1) randomize the multiple choice items separately from the essay options so that the essays are last and

2) allow students to choose only three of the essay options- any three worth 5 pts a piece.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
valentinesking
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Howdy Vicky,

Hope all is well. Thank you for sharing your question with us. I just answered a similar question today at my institution.

1. To make a random set (for multiple choice), you'll want to create a question set.
    You can either link to a question bank (easiest) or find questions and add them into the question set.
    Therefore you will want to put all your multiple choice questions into one question bank by themselves.
    How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions?  
    How do I create a quiz with a question group linked to a question bank?  
    How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank?  
    https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26578-how-do-i-create-a-question-bank-in-a-course 
  2. For the essay part, I would suggest creating a text "question type" with all your essay prompts. Then include 3 essay questions for their response 1, response 2, response 3.
    How do I create a Text (no question) quiz question?  

Hope this helps,

Sky V. King