cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
betty_simkins
Community Member

Quiz settings in Canvas-I think I have found a flaw.

Jump to solution

I have an urgent problem and I suspect it is a flaw in Canvas (unless there is something else I am not doing correctly).  Canvas is showing the quiz questions after a students submits it but before the date indicated to show the questions. Attached are images of how I have the quiz set.  I do not want students to see any of the quiz until after January 28th (no questions or answers until then). (Note: This is a homework assignment but I was planning to use the same setting on our upcoming exam.) A student had the graded quiz on her laptop and it showed all questions and what she had missed on January 24th.  It did not display the correct answers  if she missed a question but it showed all of her responses.  In Brightspace, we were able to not have the quiz Q&A visible until the date we chose and I am trying to do this with Canvas.  Am I doing something wrong?  

Note: This could be a problem for other instructors when students take proctored exams over a three day window in online classes. The instructor may think questions will be hidden  until the deadline when in reality, the students can see them after submission. This could lead to a lot of cheating on exams.  Thank you for your assistance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@betty_simkins , greetings! This is actually how quizz settings work. Any time you have the “let students see their quiz responses” checked, students WILL see their quiz responses. So the questions, answer options, which option they selected, and if they got it wrong. The ONLY thing the show correct on date does is delay when students see the correct answer. For more information on quiz settings and how to manage them, I’d recommend this document - Quiz Settings to Maximize Security‌ and this guide - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10152-415241475 

Hope this information helps clarify things!

Kona

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@betty_simkins , greetings! This is actually how quizz settings work. Any time you have the “let students see their quiz responses” checked, students WILL see their quiz responses. So the questions, answer options, which option they selected, and if they got it wrong. The ONLY thing the show correct on date does is delay when students see the correct answer. For more information on quiz settings and how to manage them, I’d recommend this document - Quiz Settings to Maximize Security‌ and this guide - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10152-415241475 

Hope this information helps clarify things!

Kona

View solution in original post

Dear Kona,

Thank you for the response. I have used D2L for many years and we have now switched to Canvas. D2L offers many options on how to reveal quizzes and the delays. Can Canvas add options like Brightspace? Brightspace's features in this area are far superior to Canvas. I do not see why Canvas has been designed with this only feature which is basically not useful. Usually, faculty want to delay the visibility of all Q&A until a deadline has passed. Brightspace gives many options and has the delay set for all of them. FYI -- I have been teaching for about 30 years. Is there someone I can contact at Canvas to see if this feature can be added?

FYI -- The Canvas videos are misleading on this subject. One of our Canvas experts at OSU, who has watch the videos, also states they are misleading.

Thank you,

Betty Simkins

Hi Kona,

I now realize you are an academic and do not work for Canvas. So just ignore my request for someone at Canvas. I appreciate you taking the time to reply! You are very kind to do so!

Best,

Betty

<https://mail.okstate.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=BAGeB8sI7E6nYxHPBnHN5jaJX_XM5NAIrB9G2m66tCsF0CMwSIjnak-Om8ekGj9eq0PlD-Ntg7Y.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fssrn.com%2fauthor%3d15921>

James
Community Champion

@betty_simkins ,

@kona  gave the correct answer, but I would also like to give you another link to show that this has long been a source of confusion. The feature idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1982-make-let-students-see-their-quiz-responses-setting-do-wha...  was created in June 2015 and Canvas addressed it in Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28)

Canvas has stopped development on the existing version of quizzes, putting their development effort into Quizzes.Next. That means that features like you ask for aren't going to show up in the existing quizzes.

Kona has a couple of solutions for what you're trying to do in her Quiz Settings to Maximize Security document that she linked to. They are more work for you, so you'll have to decide whether it's worth the extra effort on your part, but they are usable. Read her document for the full details, but the short versions are:

1. Mute the assignment before students take the quiz and unmute it after you want the answers to appear
  2. Leave the "Let students see their responses" box unchecked until you actually want the students to see the correct answers. Then go in and turn it on. You can still limit the availability this way.
betty_simkins
Community Member

Thank you James!  Both you and Kona have been very helpful!

@betty_simkins , you are correct that I'm a fellow educator like yourself. I just help out in the Canvas Community for fun and the enjoyment of helping people. 🙂

In response to your comments, I definitely empathize with your confusion with quiz settings. When we switched the faculty I worked with were confused as well, and that's why I took the time to document how things really work on this page - Quiz Settings to Maximize Security‌. 

But, I know Canvas is aware of this lack of clarity and in their new quizzing tool - Priority: Quizzes.Next: General Availability‌ - I believe they have tried to fix these problems and make it easier to use; side note, they are still working on it and improving it. Most schools haven't switched to the new quizzing tool yet, but once your school does, hopefully it will be a much better experience. 

Kona

ryanadi1
Community Member

I was having the same problem, a year later than the initial writer, so I came here for an answer. So the only way to prevent students from seeing the questions with answers is to NOT CHECK THAT FIRST BOX, "Let students see their quiz repsonses..." (which brings up other options). OK, fine. It tells them their score, that's all. So -- and I CAN'T set a date/ time for them to be able to see all the answers. So what is the default? When will canvas allow them to see the answers? At the end of the semester???!

Thanks (and I'm going to read the link you provided, but just in case the answer still isn't there...)

Terry Ryan

Tags (1)