Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfulton1
Community Member

Quizzes.Next - Attempts not Submitted

I am teaching an online course and using Quizzes.Next for my students. In an assignment that is now past due, two of my students have attempts that read "In Progress" as part of the Log -- see image

314664_pastedImage_2.png

How do I submit these quizzes so that I can grade them? 

It is only because one of these students contacted me, that I found this issue. I have just gone through all 10 of my quizzes that I have given in this class so far, 7 of them have at least one student listed as "In Progress".

My institution has removed "submit a helpdesk ticket" from the options under help in canvas.

5 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mfulton1 .  This is a good question.  I did some testing in one of my sandbox courses and honestly, didn't find a good way to trigger a submission that a student left "in progress".  I will keep exploring, but your best option may be to go to the gradebook and use the feature to message everyone who has not submitted the assignment and ask them to log back in and formally submit the quiz.  How to mass message these students and save yourself time is found in these documents, How do I send a message to my students from the Gradebook? (classic gradebook) and https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13711-73553813641 (new gradebook).

For future assessments, you might consider adding a time limit to the quiz so that when this expires the submission is completed.  If you do not want the assessment timed, you could set a time limit that is very long, but would expire before you anticipate grading the quiz.  

I hope this helps!

So the fact that the due date has passed and the assignment is closed, does not work for it being automatically submitted?

No, not in my testing  @mfulton1   If the due date has passed and the assignment has been locked, students will be notified of this if they try to re-access the assessment, but from the moderation interface the quizzes still appear "in progress" and the gradebook does not show submissions.  The best option may be to set a time limit on the quiz as this should trigger a submission, but this would only work for future quizzes not those that have already been given.

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mfulton1 .  It doesn't look as though there has been a post to this thread in some time.  I am going to go ahead and mark this as "assumed answered".  Doing so doesn't mean that a solution to the issue has been developed.  I would like to see some way an instructor could conclude a quiz that is in progress as well.  Quickly checking ideas in the Community, I did not see one for this functionality.  It might be worth submitting a feature idea for the ability to conclude a quiz in progress for Quizzes.Next so that everyone can vote on this.  If you are not familiar with this process, these documents may help: How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?   and https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14904-75187841184 

All the best!

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mfulton1 .  I'm not sure if you have seen the latest release notes (Canvas Release Notes (2019-11-16)), but part of the release indicates: 

External Tools (LTI)

• For institutions using the New Quizzes LTI, instructors can manually submit student in-process quiz attempts.

I was glad to see this and thought you might be as well.

All the best!