cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blane

Quizzes.Next Essays Ungraded Notification

When I assign an essay how do I see my student's responses? The only way I have figured out how is by clicking on each individual student's Monitor record and grading it there. That becomes very tedious especially since it doesn't tell me if any are ungraded.  I also am not told through the To Do List that I have ungraded essays. 

Tags (1)
6 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @blane .  I tested this and do not see notifications on essay questions needing grading in the "to do" list either.  It may be worth submitting a bug related to this so that it can be investigated further.

There is another way to see responses than going into moderation, however.  If you go to the gradebook for the Quizzes.Next assignment and from the gradebook column open SpeedGrader, then you can see each student's essay responses, provide feedback, and grade the questions.  The SpeedGrader view is nice in that you can proceed from one student to another quickly.  I did submit an idea to add a SpeedGrader link to Quizzes.Next (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11656-add-location-for-speedgrader-access-in-quizzesnext" modi...).  If you feel it would be beneficial I would appreciate you voting up the idea!

I hope this helps!

kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @blane ‌,

Unfortunately Quizzes.Next statuses are not available to Canvas, which means that the To Do List will not be able to track ungraded essays or assessments. This is due to the limitations of the LTI standard, forcing us to establish this functionality across separate systems. This is a feature we plan to build but I cannot comment yet on when that would happen.

You should also be aware that the grade pass back behavior of LTI means that Gradebook will receive a score for the student immediately. This score will be updated after grading the essays.

The SpeedGrader workflow is what we would recommend, but there still is no way to immediately focus on the ungraded responses.

We want our features to save time for teachers and your feedback helps us get there. Thank you for posting.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

Thank you for your response to Brittany,  @kdougherty1  

Timely grading feedback is very important to student learning and development of metacognition. This is even more important when the curriculum utilizes progressive activities to move a learner towards mastery. I greatly values submission notifications in the To-Do list so that I can grade as soon after a submission as is reasonably possible. Towards this goal, I always include at least one essay item in each quiz to trigger a To-Do list notification.

I am going to greatly miss those notifications for quiz submissions, and hope that a solution is not too far out from the EOL for the existing quizzing tool.

Kelley

Thank you for sharing how you use the To-Do List. I don't have an update on this specifically but do want to point you to the timeline graphic on the main page for the Quizzes.Next User Group .

Before EOL is determined we will first achieve solution parity. This means that we want to provide a solution to the same problem. This could be by implementing the same feature or perhaps a new approach to providing for notice of ungraded assessments.

I hope this addresses any anxiety about possible feature loss.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@blane ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
aaron_bahmer
Community Contributor

Has some of this behavior changed in the past few months? I have a faculty member using Q.N who says that in the fall semester (18 fall) he received notifications about quiz submissions, yet today he is not. I checked his notification settings, they are set for "all submissions" (and I note the caveat that it means assignments only, not quizzes {which I assume is legacy quizzes}). I'm puzzled that he received the notifications last semester and now is not.

0 Kudos