cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharris
Community Participant

Quizzes.Next Question Banks

We just finished speaking with our CSM about the Quizzes.Next rollout. One thing that is concerning is that question banks in Quizzes.Next are tied to individual users and not courses. While that may work well for K12, it's a big problem for HiEd, especially those with large online learning initiatives. Our campus works from a master course model (e.g., one course template is developed and then copied to teaching sections each term). One course template, created by a course developer and faculty expert, can be copied into dozens of live sections each term (every 8 weeks). That course copy includes everything (materials, modules, assignments, quizzes...etc.) required to teach that course online. The person who developed the master shell template is almost never the person who actually teaches the live course (our course developers would have all of these question banks tied to their user accounts).

What are we supposed to do ? Go into every online course template every 8 weeks and share the question banks with thousands of instructors and risk the chance that they could delete the whole thing ?

15 Replies
lshulman
Community Participant

Too much hassle, not worth the effort when I can get by still using Classic quizzes.

- Laura Shulman

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/lshulman/<https://mail.nvcc.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=1c304ebbbd9647619d0159857a...;

~~~~~~~~~~

The more we know, the more we know, there's more to know, than we think we know!

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Sam,

Thanks for asking these questions! I recently went through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076-faq-new-quizzes  and revised it help answer some of your concerns. You'll see that a real migration for Question Banks is in development right now. We've also pushed out the enforcement date from December to July 2021, and we'll update the roadmap appropriately when that migration gets closer to being completed.

Thanks,

Erin

sharris
Community Participant

I'm still really concerned that Canvas will not be creating functionality where questions/banks stay within a course, as opposed to attach to an individual user account. 

Does anyone from Canvas have an update ? If questions/quizzes/banks in New.Quizzes will be tied to individuals, then there is no possible way for us to move forward with the product. 

mpobocik
Community Participant

Just got off a call with our CSM. He wasn't aware that the item banks are tied to individuals so he's no help. I'm trying to copy an item bank from one instructor to another. The only way I can "break" the connection is to create a new item bank for instructor #1, copy each question individually (because developers don't think this is a necessary function) to the newly created Item Bank. Next share the item bank with instructor #2, then delete instructor #1 from the 2nd item bank. Worked fine for a 10 question bank. Not doing it for a 300 question bank. 

sharris
Community Participant

Right. We have 1k Master Shells for our online courses, each with potentially dozens of question banks. Instead of quizzes living with the course, the New Quizzes tool attached them to the individual user. So, our instructional designers (some external to our organization) are going to have thousands of quizzes/question banks tied to them in the new tool. THat's not workable for our situation. 

sharris
Community Participant

Can anyone from Instructure reply to this and provide information about the concern ?