cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
koenekern
Community Participant

Quizzes for Bonus Points

Jump to solution

I've posted some quizzes for the students to use both as exam prep and bonus points.  THey are completely optional. I assumed they had to be graded quizzes as opposed to practice quizzes so I'd know the students' points earned.  One student took the quiz, got 10/15 and her total grade percentage for the course lowered as a result!  I don't want these quizzes to have a negative impact on their course grade.  I only want to add the total points earned from the quizzes to their total points.  How can I accomplish this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@koenekern ​, here are the directions for how to make a quiz extra credit. Initially the quiz will look like it's counting against the students - just warn them that it will happen, but that it will be fixed when everyone is finished with the quiz.

Making an Extra Credit Quiz

• Create a quiz
  • Provide point values for each question. (making the quiz worth "X" amount of points - the total number of points the extra credit should be worth.)
  • Publish the quiz and have the students take it.
  • Once all students have taken a quiz and received a score, which is recorded in the gradebook.
  • Edit the Quiz and change the Quiz type to a Graded Survey worth "0" points.
  • The student will then receive whatever extra credit value they earned.

IMPORTANT: When copying the course it will copy it as a survey - so be sure to Edit and revert it back to a graded quiz for the next semester!

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@koenekern ​, here are the directions for how to make a quiz extra credit. Initially the quiz will look like it's counting against the students - just warn them that it will happen, but that it will be fixed when everyone is finished with the quiz.

Making an Extra Credit Quiz

• Create a quiz
  • Provide point values for each question. (making the quiz worth "X" amount of points - the total number of points the extra credit should be worth.)
  • Publish the quiz and have the students take it.
  • Once all students have taken a quiz and received a score, which is recorded in the gradebook.
  • Edit the Quiz and change the Quiz type to a Graded Survey worth "0" points.
  • The student will then receive whatever extra credit value they earned.

IMPORTANT: When copying the course it will copy it as a survey - so be sure to Edit and revert it back to a graded quiz for the next semester!

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@koenekern , I love  @kona ​'s elegant solution! I use weighted assignment groups in my courses, and the way I handle extra credit is to put any and all credit activities into their own assignment groups, each worth 0% of the total grade. At the end of the semester, and after any students who wish to complete the extra activity or activities have done so, I change the percentage weighting for the assignment group(s) to whatever amount I wish the extra credit to be--for the sake of this example, let's say that I have one group that will contribute 4%--bringing the total percentage possible in the course to 104%. So you could put your graded quizzes into this 0% assignment group and change its percentage contribution at the end of the semester.

The main drawback to this approach is that students will not be able to see the effect of the extra credit activities on their overall course grade until after the semester ends, and it's best to communicate that to students. Having said that, no student is penalized for not doing the activities.

The Community has a focus group dedicated to examining ways to award extra credit, and if you'd like to read some of the creative solutions offered, you can request to join the group by navigating to Canvas Focus Group: Extra Credit and clicking on the appropriate button at the upper right of the page.

micky_marinelli
Community Participant

Hello

I tried this, but the moment I turn it into a survey (or a "practice quiz"), the grade disappears from the gradebook. I do not even have the opportunity of entering it again, since the quiz is no longer listed in the gradebook. I can create another assignment, and re-enter the grades by hand (if I copy them first), but that takes a long time. Any ideas why it does not work for me?

OK I found other threads stating that this no longer works.

I even tried keeping it a graded assignment but putting score = 0 but I get a black Q instead. I can enter grade by hand, but with 200 students, it's not an easy task...

dmg34
Community Contributor

I recently wanted to give my students a bonus quiz, came here looking for a way to do so, and found this thread. I wanted to share how I ended up doing it.

• I posted bonus quiz as a "real" quiz, but I made it very clear (both in class and in the directions) that it would be for bonus and that I would "convert" the points after the due date.
  • After due date passed, I added a no-submission assignment called "Score on Bonus Quiz", worth 0 points.
  • Export gradebook. Now there is a column with the "real" grade, and an empty column which I want to make the bonus score. Copy the earned grade over to the bonus score column. Import to Canvas.
  • Edit original "real" quiz to make it a practice quiz, now it disappears from the gradebook (but students can still go back and look at it). Bonus points are correctly tallied under the "bonus score" assignment.

It did require a bit of work on the back end, but it really only took a couple of minutes to do it. This really SHOULD be a feature that is available in Canvas, but until it is, this was a pretty easy work-around for me.

carpenter
Community Participant

I have used "versions" of the work-arounds above and was able to accomplish my task.  (Thanks for sharing. Smiley Wink)

However, does anyone know how a quiz for bonus points might work in New Quizzes?  I haven't found the option to change the quiz type that will allow a work-around nor have I found another option for bonus points using a quiz from the New Quizzes engine.  Am I missing something?