cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgorman

Quizzes locked on cellphone (IOS) but not computer

Jump to solution

I created a series of reading quizzes that are not locked.  They show up as not being locked on a laptop computer.  However, when I try to access the quizzes, even as the instructor, using an iphone 5 or 6 with the current IOS, it shows that the quizzes are locked.  T  I've tried everything on the two phones, so something seems wrong on the app end.  The quizzes have no restrictions and don't have the one question at a time feature enabled.  I've looked at previous post about the app and quizzes, but none of them explained the situation.  I'm baffled.  Any insight would be appreciated.  

1 Solution
dgorman

I tried to open the quizzes using my previously made student account, and the quizzes are unlocked, so  thanks, Sky.  I'm assuming students can access the quizzes while, strangely, I as the teacher, can't.  Maybe they are trying to have us use the teacher app.  Any which way, I'm happy because students are able to access the quizzes on their phones.  

-Dave

View solution in original post

6 Replies
valentinesking
Advocate

@dgorman ‌

When I was first playing around with iOS using the mobile app [with my "section designer" role], I discovered the same thing too. I double-checked my settings thinking that the quizzes were unpublished or I did something wrong. Then I thought that my institution account locked it down so students couldn't take quizzes via mobile (because previously we discouraged it on our "other" LMS). However, it was my role in the mobile app I believe because once I made another employee as a student- with their "student" account, they were able to access the quizzes online.

I am not sure if that is the same reason why you are encountering this as well.

I have not heard of the designer role being locked out of parts of the app, but roles in Canvas keep be inconsistent because admins can adjust the defaults and create others. This may be what you dealt with. Admins don't have the ability to lock users out of parts of the app (quizzes, etc) in Canvas. Like you said, other vendors might have that ability (like Blackboard), but the Canvas mobile app doesn't have any feature flags specific to the app. 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dgorman ‌, 

Has the availability date for the quiz already passed? A long-running issue with the iOS app is assignments and quizzes locking for EVERYONE once the availability date has passed. 

dgorman

Thanks for your insights.  I'll look at my student account and see if I can see it from there.  As for end dates, I've been using the Canvas shell as a support system more than a start-end date as in a traditional class.  Along those lines, I just publish the quizzes once done without a start or end date.  They have worked fine for the last year.  It's only recently that I've seen the locked icon.  I can tinker with creating a start date and see if that solves it.  However, if something in the system new in the system requires a start date, it may create a future expiration date, both of which I don't want since students are coming and going throughout a semester.  

dgorman

I tried to open the quizzes using my previously made student account, and the quizzes are unlocked, so  thanks, Sky.  I'm assuming students can access the quizzes while, strangely, I as the teacher, can't.  Maybe they are trying to have us use the teacher app.  Any which way, I'm happy because students are able to access the quizzes on their phones.  

-Dave

Glad that it worked for you!