cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennifer_ward1
Community Participant

Quizzes.next in a module

Jump to solution

I have a quizzes.next assignment in a module. When the quizzes.next is taken by a student and they submit, the student gets the results but then when they click return it takes them all the way back to the homepage instead of the next activity in the module. Is there a way (as the instructor) I can get it to do that. I want it to return to a page in a module. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasonh_buck
Community Member

I figured out a way to do this, but it is a hack using an iframe to embed the Quizzes Next Page on a page in the module.

1. Create and publish your quizzes next quiz
    2. Copy the URL to the quizzes next assignment
    3. Create a page in your module for your quizzes next quiz
    4. Edit your new page
    5. Click on the HTML Editor
    6. Copy and paste this code into the HTML Editor
      <iframe src="paste the url to your assignment here." style="width: 100%; height: 1000px; margin: 0 0 0 -85px;">
      </iframe>‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
    7. margin: 0 0 0 -85px; is the same as:
         margin-top: 0px;
         margin-right: 0px;
         margin-bottom: 0px;
         margin-left: -85px; (this hides the Canvas navigation bar on the left.)
    8. Click Save (and Publish) for the page

Your page will now contain the Quizzes Next quiz and the page will have the "Previous" and "Next buttons at the bottom even if the student clicks the "Return" button at the top of the quiz.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jennifer_ward1 .  Currently it isn't possible to have students return to a particular place in a module after submitting a quiz with Quizzes.Next.  This has come up several times since Q.N was released in beta (see Programmable Return Button in Quizzes.next and Can I set a quizzes.next submission as a module requirement.)  In the first link, Kevin with Instructure indicates that the plan at some point is to change this behavior.  One option as a workaround to help students from losing their place is to open the quiz in a new tab from the Modules page.  This way after submitting the assignment students will not need to navigate from the Assignments tab back to the Modules page.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

jasonh_buck
Community Member

I figured out a way to do this, but it is a hack using an iframe to embed the Quizzes Next Page on a page in the module.

1. Create and publish your quizzes next quiz
    2. Copy the URL to the quizzes next assignment
    3. Create a page in your module for your quizzes next quiz
    4. Edit your new page
    5. Click on the HTML Editor
    6. Copy and paste this code into the HTML Editor
      <iframe src="paste the url to your assignment here." style="width: 100%; height: 1000px; margin: 0 0 0 -85px;">
      </iframe>‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
    7. margin: 0 0 0 -85px; is the same as:
         margin-top: 0px;
         margin-right: 0px;
         margin-bottom: 0px;
         margin-left: -85px; (this hides the Canvas navigation bar on the left.)
    8. Click Save (and Publish) for the page

Your page will now contain the Quizzes Next quiz and the page will have the "Previous" and "Next buttons at the bottom even if the student clicks the "Return" button at the top of the quiz.

That is an interesting hack that I hadn't thought of  @jasonh_buck .  Thanks for posting this idea!

Thanks, ericwerth‌!  I also added a little code below that to try to help end users to click the next button.

<p style="text-align: right; clear: both; width: 50%; float: right;"><strong>Please click the "Next" button below.</strong></p>

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

What URL to use? Is it [your institution name].instructure.com/courses/[7-digit course ID #]/assignments/[8-digit assignment ID #], or [your institution name].quiz-lti-iad-prod.instructure.com/taking/[quiz ID #]?

@Kelvin_Dean  use the first URL structure you suggested (to the assignment.)

<iframe src="https://[your domain].instructure.com/couses/[course id]/assignments/[assignment id]" style="width: 100%; height: 750px; margin: 0 0 0 -85px;"></iframe>

Hi Eric. I was reading your reply and saw this. Could you please explain how exactly do I do this?:

"One option as a workaround to help students from losing their place is to open the quiz in a new tab from the Modules page."

I still cannot figure out how to open the quiz in a new tab. Thanks in advance for your help!.

Tags (2)