cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sara_samples1
Community Participant

Quizzes.next scores not populating to gradebook

Jump to solution

I searched but couldn't find anything to address this.

I have created a quizzes.next quiz with unlimited attempts, keep the highest score options.  The assignment is past due.  Students who have completed the quiz are receiving a score of 0 in the Canvas gradebook regardless of how well they do on the quiz.  They can see their actual score within quizzes.next, and I can see all of their information as well; the stats are all populating just fine internally.  But the information does not seem to be reaching the Canvas gradebook at all. 

Tags (1)
15 Replies

Hi  @polzinc  if you happen to contact Support about this, would you mind updating the thread here about what you learn?  It would be nice to know what may cause this problem to arise and if it does, how to get it fixed.

Thanks!

polzinc
Community Participant
I reached out to Canvas Support regarding the issue a teacher was experiencing with Quizzes.Next.  Here is an overview of the issue:
  • A teacher created a quiz using the new quiz feature Quizzes.Next
  • During the initial creation, the points possible remained 0 since the questions were not built yet.
  • The teacher added the questions and each one was listed as being worth 1 point for a total of 31 points. That total showed in the quiz itself.
  • Students took the quiz and in the Gradebook their score showed 0 out of 0.  The 31 pt total didn't override the initial setting.  Apparently, we needed to return to the intial edit option through the assignments list to change the points possible to 0.  
  • After searching, we located how to edit the total points possible. However, once that was done, the students scores all showed up as 0 out of 31.  The actual scores finally showed up accurately in the gradebook about 15-20 minutes later. 

The question I asked support was:

• Why do the total points within the quiz building page not override the actual total or popup with a warning that the totals don't match (similar to the rubrics)? Is this supposed to occur? It is not obvious how to change the score and it looks like it is the actual total that is connected to the Quiz.

Here was the response that I was received:

"After further investigation and confirming this information with my colleague, this is the intended behavior. When you put the point value when creating the assignment in Canvas, that's how much the quiz will be worth in Canvas. The points for the questions in New Quizzes is showing how much the questions are worth. Once a student completes the New Quiz, Canvas will divide the points that you assigned to it when you created it, then divide it to the New Quiz questions point value, and that's how the grade is passed back."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
polzinc
Community Participant

Updated findings:

If you don't edit the total points on the Assignment page where the quiz was created before students take the quiz, then the total points will change in the Gradebook, but the points students earn will not populate until you regrade a question on the quiz in Speedgrader.  Regrading a question will then trigger the points earned to populate.

This is great to know  @polzinc   Thanks for the update!

Eric

BStutzman
Community Contributor

Thanks for the update, but I am wondering if they are trying to fix this problem.....

Community Member

So, I have to go into speedgrader and grade the New Quizzes to get points?  Right now all I see are percentages when I want to show points.  I have over 100 quizzes to score.  What am I missing?