Random Student Generator

Jump to solution
kstroud
Community Novice

Does Canvas have a random student generator or random student selector? (Google Classroom has one, so I wasn't sure if this was a feature Canvas has)

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @kstroud  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  This is an interesting question...and unfortunately, I don't have great news for you.  I cannot think of anything in Canvas that would let you randomly pick a name...for example, if you wanted to randomly call on someone in class or wanted to randomly assign someone as a group leader.  Your best bet is to use an external website such as this one: Random Name Picker - Quickly Pick A Random Name.  If you didn't feel comfortable pasting in actual student names to a website like this, you could do it by numbers...just assign each student a number, use the Random Name Picker site, and put in numbers instead of actual names.  Then, when it picks a number, match it up to the student name.  It's a bit of a clumsy work-around, but it might accomplish what you are looking for.

In searching the Community, I didn't see any existing Feature Ideas that were related to this kind of request.  So, I would encourage you to consider submitting this idea so that people could evaluate it and vote on it if they liked what you suggested.  Here are a handful of documents to get you started:

How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?  

How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14905-75187841185 

I hope this will help, Kristi.

View solution in original post

0 Likes