cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomas_brooks1
Community Member

Randomizing Order of Quiz Questions

Jump to solution

how can i randomize the order of my quiz questions? (I know how to shuffle the answers -- but not the order of the questions)

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, the short answer is use question groups, for more details see the following guide - How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group to randomize quiz questions?

Does this help?

View solution in original post

yoder1
Community Participant

Just to clarify, randomizing the order of questions in a quiz (to get a groups-within-groups effect) is only available in new quizzes, not classic quizzes, correct?

18 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, the short answer is use question groups, for more details see the following guide - How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group to randomize quiz questions?

Does this help?

Yes.  I'll have to experiment with it, but yes. thank you.

Very good! Let us know if you have more questions!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user​...

Looks like  @kona ​ has helped you out.  I'm going to modify the title of this question since you already have the same wording in the body of your message.  Also, I'm going to tag your posting with keywords.  All of this is to help people when searching for similar topics.  Hope this is ok with you.

dstahl
Community Member

This feature does not address the more common need of offering the same online quiz with the same questions to all students but randomizing the order of the questions so students can't work on the quiz together.   Moodle and Blackboard both offer this feature in the Quiz Settings.

Deactivated user​, see  @kona ​'s comment of June 10 above; if you drag and drop all of the questions in the quiz into a question group, the question order will be randomized, so that students can't work on the quiz together. This will accomplish exactly what you're looking for. And, for additional quiz security, you can set the quiz to deliver one question at a time. That option is available in the quiz settings.

You're correct that currently, randomizing quiz questions can't be accomplished by enabling a box in the quiz settings. Please consider adding your upvote and comments to this feature idea that is open for voting:

dstahl
Community Member

Thanks, Stefanie.  I read about this workaround but I am looking for a feature that involves less work.  If you have a quiz with 100 questions many with different point values, the available workaround is very time consuming and error prone.   With more and more classes being offered online, this should be an essential feature of the system without asking instructors to spend extra hours compensating for the competitive short comings of Canvas.

Deactivated user​, I completely agree; the workaround becomes especially unwieldy when you're creating a quiz with a large number of questions with varying point values. I just wanted to clarify that randomizing questions in a quiz is indeed possible in Canvas; it's just not available in the quiz settings.

I see you've added your vote and comment to the feature idea--great! You can continue to elaborate on the value of this feature in the comments section of the feature idea. Honestly, I don't know why it isn't garnering more votes, so promote it amongst your colleagues!

I undertand this, but I use question groups to essentially create different forms of my tests. Since you can't nest question groups within question groups, I really would like the ability to randomize questions and question groups.