cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Renshaw
Community Participant

Recording Practice Logs

Jump to solution

I'm trying to wrap my mind around an easier solution that what we are doing for this situation. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Scenario:  In many of these music classes, students much submit a daily practice log of their practice that looks like the following.

Week 1

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Total

Sample 1

The above total of minutes (193) is worth 27 points (see calculation table below).

QUESTION:  Can Canvas accept the submission of a daily practice log (submitted as a “number of minutes” practiced on one day), add the total number of minutes submitted for any given week, and then award points each week based on the total number of minutes as follows:

Total minutes submitted for the week

Points Awarded for the Week

210 or more

180-209

150-179

125-149

100-124

80-99

60-79

0-50

Any thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Short answer is no, I can't think of anyway for Canvas to do this. The closest I can come up with would be to possibly use a Google sheet with the hours per week as an assignment (using the new LTI). Students could go in and add their hours to this sheet (it would be individualized per the Google Drive LTI). Yet, someone (teacher, TA, someone) would have to look at each student's sheet at the end of the week and award the point manually.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Short answer is no, I can't think of anyway for Canvas to do this. The closest I can come up with would be to possibly use a Google sheet with the hours per week as an assignment (using the new LTI). Students could go in and add their hours to this sheet (it would be individualized per the Google Drive LTI). Yet, someone (teacher, TA, someone) would have to look at each student's sheet at the end of the week and award the point manually.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @Brian_Renshaw ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because it's been about two months since you initially posted this question and  @kona ‌' response on January 31st.  Have you had a chance to review Kona's reply?  Did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for assistance with this?  If you could please come back here to post an update for members of the Canvas Community, that would be awesome!  For now, since there hasn't been any new activity for quite some time, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies to this topic.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Brian!

Brian_Renshaw
Community Participant

Yes, that's helpful. Thanks!