Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xcotto
Community Contributor

Recover Discussions/Assignment & Quizzes

Jump to solution

Hi Canvas Team Smiley Happy

Is there a way to recover the original files like Discussions/Assignment & Quizzes after an Import content into the same course?

I did try the undelete option -> /courses/12345/undelete  and it helps finding a few items but not all of them.

What options do I still have to recover those files from this incident. Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance

@farbelaez ​

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xcotto
Community Contributor

Hi stefaniesanders​ Well canvas support wasn't able to help us at all Smiley Sad They Recommend to us that BETA is the only instance that refresh the data weekly. Therefore  at that time the last content we updated into our courses weren't sync at all. So like 25% of the content remains. The 75% of the changes that were updated in our courses was lost.

We are working on a special request with the Canvas Vendor to have a back up of all our courses.

Best regards,

Xavier

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@xcotto , as you've discovered, not every lost item can be restored via the "undelete" function. The next recommended step is to contact Canvas Support (Help | Report a Problem). They have been known to perform miracles with bringing content back!

tdelillo
Community Champion

Another trick I often use is going to the beta environment to see if what you've lost is still there. The success of that depends hugely on when you built the content and when you lost it. Beta is refreshed every week, so your beta instance has a snapshot of that course as it existed last Saturday. So if the missing discussions/assignments/quizzes existed last week, you can export the course from beta and import the selected bits into production.

xcotto
Community Contributor

Thank you stefaniesanders​ yes I did also create a ticket I'm just waiting from their reply. Thanks again Smiley Wink

xcotto
Community Contributor

Hi  @tdelillo ​ I do used this environment doing exactly what you posted here. The thing is we were working on brand new instances since we are expanding our institutions and we do not have snapshots created yet on BETA or TEST until this weekend Smiley SadSmiley Sad

Thank you again Smiley Sad

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@xcotto ​, we haven't heard from you in a while. Was Canvas Support ultimately able to restore your content, and if not, did you devise a solution independently?

xcotto
Community Contributor

Hi stefaniesanders​ Well canvas support wasn't able to help us at all Smiley Sad They Recommend to us that BETA is the only instance that refresh the data weekly. Therefore  at that time the last content we updated into our courses weren't sync at all. So like 25% of the content remains. The 75% of the changes that were updated in our courses was lost.

We are working on a special request with the Canvas Vendor to have a back up of all our courses.

Best regards,

Xavier

View solution in original post