cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terence_gonsalv
Community Member

Recover lost submission

Hi, 

while grading assignments using speedgrader, a participants name was highlighted stating that he had made a submission, in a hurry, he was graded as complete for this assignment, when the page refreshed there was no submission for some reason and so he was regraded as Incomplete. And now the participant is asking us where is his assignment, he says he has made a submission (a lengthy one too) is there any way for us to recover the said submission?

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@terence_gonsalv , what type of submission was it? Have you tried viewing the submission from different computers/internet browsers? This sounds like a strange situation and my overall recommendation is to get Canvas Support involved. They are going to be able to dig in deeper and see if the student submitted something and if so, hopefully what was submitted.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@terence_gonsalv ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Sounds like it could have been lost because of a "login time out" ,

as described in this entry:

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/20201-how-can-i-recover-text-entry-information-that-was-lost-...

How can I recover text entry information that was lost because my login timed out?

Question asked by Aaron Aposhian on Oct 22, 2017
I was writing a text entry for a school assignment. I left for a while, came back, and completed my text entry. However, after I clicked submit, I was told that my login had timed out and so my entry could not be submitted. Then my entire entry was gone, to no fault of myself, and without warning. Is there anything I can do to recover the information that was lost? This is a problem that needs to be fixed. I am beyond frustrated. 

Stuart Ryan 
Oct 23, 2017 4:47 AM
Correct Answer
Hi Aaron,
I apologise, but unfortunately there would not be any way to recover your work, as it is not sent to the Canvas servers until the submit button is pressed. An idea for a Session Log-Out Warning has received support and is on the Canvas Product Radar, so this is something that there is definitely community support for, along with you. You can add your vote on the idea also which is always helpful. 

The only thing I could suggest is for any text-based assignments in future, that you use an external text editor, or even Microsoft Word/Apple Pages and then paste your completed assignment in. This will ensure you always have a backup copy in case anything goes wrong.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your experiences, and I hope this helps in the future.

Stuart
Imagine -in this day and age- people are still creating software this CRAPPY!!!
And that it affects the future of children -mindboggling.