Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandeep_Dhesi
Community Participant

Recovering a deleted learner

Jump to solution

Hi all

I deleted a learner from the system a while ago and now the teacher wants to retrieve the learner.  I followed the guidelines from downloading the provisioning report and then changed the status to active for the learner.

I uploaded the file and the system said one learner successfully imported but the learner is not on Canvas.

A screenshot of the CSV file is below

screenshot.jpg

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Mandeep

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
robotcars
Community Champion

If you can't find the user profile at /users/15227, then it might be time to put in a ticket.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi Mandeep,

If you download a provisioning report (Admin > Settings > Reports > Provisioning) and select "Users" and "Include deleted objects", do you see the user listed as active?

robotcars
Community Champion

Hi @Mandeep_Dhesi 

When a user is deleted, the enrollments are deleted as well, this may pose problems for getting them back in the teachers course. You can restore those enrollments, but not all of their work may be restored.

https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/file.sis_csv.html

When a user is 'deleted' it will delete the login tied to the sis_id. If the login is the last one, all of the users enrollments will also be deleted and they won't be able to log in to the school's account. If you still want the student to be able to log in but just not participate, leave the student 'active' but set the enrollments to 'completed'.

Might be best not to delete users, unless it's truly needed.

Hi

Yes the status was deleted and I changed it to active 

kind regards 

Mandeep_Dhesi
Community Participant

Hi Robotcars

Which CSV file would I use to recover the deleted learner ? Could you provide a sample or headings should I use for the CSV file.

Kind Regards

@Mandeep_Dhesi 

I think these fields will work for you based on your screenshot.

user_id,login_id,first_name,last_name,short_name,email,status
10379...,Username,Bob,Smith,Bobby Smith,bob.smith@myschool.edu,active   

Mandeep_Dhesi
Community Participant

Hi Robotcars

I tried  the format of the CSV file you provided. i uploaded it and the message said the user had been imported successfully but when i looked for the user they did not exist on Canvas.

When I download the latest provisioning report from canvas the learners status is deleted even though I have changed it to active.

Kind Regards

HI,

Are you using the same SIS_ID that's in the provisioning report, including the '-deleted'?

What happens when you search People for the instance, or go directly to the users profile /users/<canvas_user_id>

Mandeep_Dhesi
Community Participant

Hi

I have used the same SIS_ID and did change the status to active and imported the learner and the learner was imported successfully but when I searched for the learner using their SIS_ID, name and email address the learner was not on the system.

I do not understand why it is not working.

Kind Regards

robotcars
Community Champion

If you can't find the user profile at /users/15227, then it might be time to put in a ticket.

View solution in original post