cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fandrey
Community Participant

Redirect App: 2 functionality Qs

Does anyone know:

1. What do Show in Account Navigation and Show in User Navigation do? I tried enabling them both and can't see where they show up. Seems like only Show in Course Navigation is useful?
  2. How do I delete a redirect entirely? I can only see how to disable it in the Navigation menu.

The documentation on this tool is not helpful.

Thanks!

Ann

10 Replies
buddyhall
Community Champion

If a Canvas Admin installs the redirect at the account level, these options allow them to add links to their admin menu or to the list of links when you are in your user profile area.

To delete it entirely, go into your settings, then the apps tab, and click the view app configurations button. You should see it listed here with an options button that will allow you to delete it.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @fandrey ‌

• Account Navigation will add it as a menu item in the global navigation menu.
  • User Navigation will add it as a menu item on the users "Settings" page.

Both options are useful depending on where folks are redirected to.

Kelley

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @fandrey ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on May 7, 2018.  It looks like  @buddyhall  and  @kmeeusen  replied to you later that afternoon.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that they have both provided?  If so did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions as it relates to your initial question?  If you feel that either Buddy's or Kelley's feedback has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and click the "Mark Correct" button located at the upper right corner of either of their responses.  However, if you are still seeking help with this, please come back to this thread to post an update for us so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you for over five months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for that same amount of time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Ann.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

fandrey
Community Participant

Thank you, Buddy. This didn't work for me, so I just settled for disabling in Navigation.

fandrey
Community Participant

Thanks, Chris.

fandrey
Community Participant

Thank you, Kelley. 

englishskills50
Community Participant

I tried to follow the instructions above, and it doesn't give me the option to delete a link which has been put in with Redirect Tool. The only option is "Placements." So the link that was put in with Redirect Tool is permanently there, though it can be hidden from students.

Is there any other way to delete it?

Hello  @englishskills50 ...

I am assuming that you are looking at the list of all installed external LTI apps that are installed ... which you can see within your course (check out this Guide: How do I use the Canvas App Center in a course?).  In the Guide, if you take a look at the section called "View Account-Level Apps", you'll see that any LTIs that have the padlock icon (to the left of the LTI name) and the "i" icon (to the right of the LTI name) are ones that have been installed at the account level.  As far as I know, only your school's local Canvas administrator(s) would be able to remove that LTI...but doing so at the Account Level removes it from all courses at your school...not just your course.  And so, if you have colleagues who are using a particular LTI but you are not, they would not be able to use it any more in their course(s).  By contrast, the cog wheel icon that you see to the right of the LTI name should be for any LTI that you have installed at the course level, and those are ones where you have additional options...such as deleting from your course.  (See the section on "Manage Course-Level Apps" in the Guide I linked to above.)

I hope this helps, Eric.

englishskills50
Community Participant

Thank you, Chris. There is a lock next to the Redirect Tool app, but I'm not trying to remove that. I'm trying to remove an item (a link) which I put into the Course Navigation panel by using the Redirect Tool app. That item doesn't have a lock next to it.