Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevec
Community Member

Regrading multiple choice quizzes. Change to multiple correct answers?

Jump to solution

I go back over my quizzes and frequently find that I'll have an answer that sounded wrong to me, but right to more than half the class. In cases like that, I'd like to re-grade and make both my intended "correct" answer and the one that the class chose tabulate as "correct." I know how to shift from one correct answer to another, but how do I authorize two correct answers on a completed quiz that was designed to have only one correct answer?

And I I fully understand if I have to manually add the points in the gradebook, but I'd like to be able to do it automatically.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack

I might have good news for you, assuming I'm understanding your scenario correctly,  @stevec ​, though given the rest of your question I wonder if you have not already found this solution yourself.  Canvas indeed allows this, and the documentation that you want to check is here:  How do I regrade a Multiple Choice quiz question? .  I just tried this in a sample class to be doubly-sure, and it works as advertised.  (Bear in mind that this will only allow one additional "correct" answer, not 3 or 4!)  I checked my gradebook, and the students who answered one of the 2 (ultimately) correct answers are indeed properly scored. 

A couple of caveats, however--and this may be your real question, in which case I do not think there is a simple solution.  In Speedgrader, the second "correct" answer you input will still be registered as the correct answer, so it technically does not show both correct answers.  Here is a screen capture of a student who originally answered "Panda" to my question (which I originally designated as correct), rather than "Lion," which was my second correct answer after re-grading.  Note that only "Lion" will now appear as the correct answer, although the student was properly scored correctly for the question:

regraded question.jpg

It is a similar situation in Quiz Statistics, where the statistics will only register the second correct answer.

So, while Canvas will automatically calculate the points properly, there is indeed no real way to show two separate, correct answers with a multiple choice-type of question.  I hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack

I might have good news for you, assuming I'm understanding your scenario correctly,  @stevec ​, though given the rest of your question I wonder if you have not already found this solution yourself.  Canvas indeed allows this, and the documentation that you want to check is here:  How do I regrade a Multiple Choice quiz question? .  I just tried this in a sample class to be doubly-sure, and it works as advertised.  (Bear in mind that this will only allow one additional "correct" answer, not 3 or 4!)  I checked my gradebook, and the students who answered one of the 2 (ultimately) correct answers are indeed properly scored. 

A couple of caveats, however--and this may be your real question, in which case I do not think there is a simple solution.  In Speedgrader, the second "correct" answer you input will still be registered as the correct answer, so it technically does not show both correct answers.  Here is a screen capture of a student who originally answered "Panda" to my question (which I originally designated as correct), rather than "Lion," which was my second correct answer after re-grading.  Note that only "Lion" will now appear as the correct answer, although the student was properly scored correctly for the question:

regraded question.jpg

It is a similar situation in Quiz Statistics, where the statistics will only register the second correct answer.

So, while Canvas will automatically calculate the points properly, there is indeed no real way to show two separate, correct answers with a multiple choice-type of question.  I hope this helps a bit!