cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dweis_ku_edu
Community Member

Regulate student access to resources

Jump to solution

I would like to grant student access to embedded media on a student-by-student basis--recorded lectures when only absent students are absent. This would look like:

Lecture 1 video: only Students A and B were absent and need access, no one else should have access

Lecture 2 video: only Students A and C were absent and need access, no one else should have access

Lecture 3 video: only Student C was absent and needs access, no one else should have access

etc.

I can embed my media using the rich text editor into a page or an assignment.

I thought of trying an assignment that was only assigned to the selected students, but I think the assignment is still visible to all students. Maybe I am wrong on that point?

I have 82 students enrolled. Is there a way to do this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi there, @dweis_ku_edu ...

If you use Canvas Assignments, you can use this Guide: How do I assign an assignment to an individual stu... - Instructure Community.  Do you think this would meet your needs?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @dweis_ku_edu ...

Are you open to other ways to distribute your video lectures to you students?  For example...

Do you know if your school has purchased Canvas Studio?  If so, you could load your recorded lectures to Studio and only share them with your students that way.  How do I share media with a user in Canvas Studio? - Instructure Community

Or, would you be open to using YouTube?  What you would do here is upload your recorded lecture to your YouTube account, and then you would make sure that it was "unlisted" ... meaning that only people that you provide the link to would be able to watch the video.  Of course, you would have to trust that those who were absent from your course would not distribute the unlisted YouTube link to other students...if that was important to you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

dweis_ku_edu
Community Member

Thanks, but that is not the use that I need. I need to restrict to only selected students out of all students in the course. Since students can share the link with each other, this does not restrict the access.

I know how to embed my media in a Canvas page/Canvas assignment. Is there a way to control who which students can view a page or assignment?

Hi there, @dweis_ku_edu ...

If you use Canvas Assignments, you can use this Guide: How do I assign an assignment to an individual stu... - Instructure Community.  Do you think this would meet your needs?

View solution in original post

The key phrase in that article was "Only the student(s) specified in the assignment details can view the assignment."