Relation between quiz availability and duration

Jump to solution
kaushik_patra
Community Member

What is the relation between quiz duration and quiz availability? 

Let's say I have created a quiz as following.

Due date : Mar 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Available from : Mar 28, 2020 10:00 am

Available till : Mar 28, 2020 12:20 pm.

Duration : 135 minutes.

1. What does it mean? Students can start from any time between 10:00 am to 12:20 pm and still get full 135 minutes. Or is it that after the time of availability student can not submit? Or is it that at 12:20 pm all started quiz will be submitted automatically? 

2. Somewhat related - what if I set time of availability from 10:00 am to 10:15 am but duration is still 135 minutes. Can student finish submit after 2 hour 15 minutes even if it is outside availability time? 

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Kaushik,

The Available dates control the time when a student can take a quiz and are independent of a time limit.  So in your example with the End time set to 12:20 pm, it will cut them off at that time regardless of the time limit.  If they start at 12:15 pm they will only have 5 minutes to take it.  

When a student starts a quiz if there is less time available than the time limit of the quiz, they will get a warning that they are starting the quiz towards the end of the available time and will not get the full time.  

My own suggestion is that if you plan to have a quiz given during a set time frame such as from 10 am to noon and the intention is that they have two hours; don't use a time limit.  The time limit is redundant in this case because you've only given them a 2 hour window to work on it.

Oh and due dates; I consider them to just be a communication device as that is what will how on the calendar, to do list and syllabus. But a due date will not stop anyone from taking a quiz or submitting an assignment after it.

Hope that helps.

Rick

View solution in original post