Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emily
Community Champion

Remediation after end of term

Jump to solution

Hi-

Our students sometimes have to re-submit failing assignments in order to pass a class.  Frequently, these assignments need to be turned in after the end of the term.  Is it possible for students to do this in Canvas? One way I can think of is to extend the submission date for the student past the end of the semester. If students are allowed to see the course after the end of the term, would this work? Would we need to retroactively change the custom dates of the term to include the date we expect the remediation to be turned in?

Example: A fall course ends Dec. 15. The student failed her last assignment and needs to re-do it, but the semester is already over, so we decide we will accept her remediation until January 15. Can we just extend her assignment's due date until Jan 15, or perhaps extend the course's custom term until Jan 15 and THEN extend her assignment?

Other workarounds are most welcome!

Emily

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ctmaya
Community Contributor

Hi Emily Springfield

As you have suggested at the end of your message, you need to extend the course end date first. Otherwise the student will not be able to do anything. Just a side note, our institution decided to set the default course-end-date 1 month after the actual semester date, precisely because of these sort of cases. As far as I know you need to have admin rights to extend the course-end-date after it has passed. So if you can't do that you need to contact your admin.

Then once you have extended the course-end-date, you can go to the assignment and add an additional date for a specific student. Here is a link that might be helpful How do I assign an Assignment to an individual student or course section? You don't need to extend the deadline for everybody else.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ctmaya
Community Contributor

Hi Emily Springfield

As you have suggested at the end of your message, you need to extend the course end date first. Otherwise the student will not be able to do anything. Just a side note, our institution decided to set the default course-end-date 1 month after the actual semester date, precisely because of these sort of cases. As far as I know you need to have admin rights to extend the course-end-date after it has passed. So if you can't do that you need to contact your admin.

Then once you have extended the course-end-date, you can go to the assignment and add an additional date for a specific student. Here is a link that might be helpful How do I assign an Assignment to an individual student or course section? You don't need to extend the deadline for everybody else.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

emily
Community Champion

As a follow-up, if there is nothing to submit in an assignment, can faculty change the GRADE after the end of a course without having to extend the term of the course? The idea is that at some point, we want students to stop interacting with the course, but have faculty still able to fix grades after the end of the term.    

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@emily ​, no, Instructors can't change a grade after the end of the term.

emily
Community Champion

Hmm...I just set a course to end this afternoon, and was able to change grades. Is that because I am an administrator, but faculty don't have that right?

E    

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yep, as an admin I can go in and change anything. Yet, if you masquerade as an Instructor in a course that's already ended you'll see that you can't change it from the gradebook (it's not clickable) and if you go into speedgrader there is no option to change the grade at all.