cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rachel_bachman
Community Participant

Remove Rubric from assignment issue

I just did a little experiment. I created a rubric from the assignment page. When I went to delete the rubric (using the trash can icon) the rubric was completely removed from the course (I checked the manage rubric area).

I then created a rubric from the "Manage Rubric" area. I added it to the assignment (same assignment as above). And then I deleted the rubric from the assignment (using the trash can icon). This time when I went back to check the manage rubric area in outcomes, the rubric was still there. 

To me that is really weird behavior. It seems like no matter where I create the rubric, it should stay in the course even if I want to remove it from an assignment. 

I am curious if others have the same experience and I am curious as to why it behaves like this. Or, am I doing something weirdly wrong?

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
14 Replies
rachel_bachman
Community Participant

ADDITION: I did a little more playing around with it and found if I make the rubric from the assignment and then go to "manage rubrics" in "outcomes", edit the rubric and then choose "Use this rubric for assignment grading" (even though I chose that at the assignment area) then if I delete the rubric from the assignment, the rubric will stay in the course. However, when I do that I get a weird pop up: "Change assignment point to match rubric". I don't understand why that pop up happens since I've not changed point values for anything when I am editing it.
change point value in rubric pop up

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rachel_bachman ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

sspeer
Community Participant

Hi  @rachel_bachman ‌, 

We came across a similar issue when importing a Rubric, adding it to an assignment, and then deleting it, it deleted it from the course completely and not just the assignment. Did you ever come across a fix for you problem?

Thanks!

rachel_bachman
Community Participant

Hi Stephanie,

Unfortunately, I did not find a fix for this problem.

Rachel

kcornwell
Community Member

Same issue, would love a solution

Original poster ( @rachel_bachman ‌) stated below that she did not find a fix for her issue. Should this be changed back to "Unanswered"?

christopher_hod
Community Member

Is there a way to remove a rubric from an assignment without deleting the rubric? If rubric A is used in the assignment and I want to switch to rubric B which already exists, how to I make the swap?

kendall_hunter
Community Member

I just came across this problem. Another situation where Canvas handles things in an inefficient way. The solution is to allow even an assignment-made rubric be unassociated without complete removal. Make it happen!

So, yes, had this issue recently. Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbers for just such an emergency (as Foghorn Leghorn used to say). What this means is I have all my rubrics built in a prior course or "sandbox course" and can import them back in at will. This is NOT a solution, but rather a work-around until there is a solution. Another work around is to keep master-copies of all your rubrics in Excel spreadsheets, to be imported with tools like this on:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructional-Designer/Importing-Rubrics-from-a-Spreadsheet/ba-p/...

... and when you remove/delete a rubric from an assignment, just reload it back in from the local master-set.

In the best of all worlds, there would be an option to "detach rubric from assignment", and a separate option to "delete rubric".

I'm very disappointed (but not terribly surprised) this wasn't an option from day-one, and more disappointed it's still not an option after so much time.

Tags (1)