Removing Assignments

Jump to solution
KJackowick
Community Member

Is there a way to remove assignments from the gradebook and student list without completely losing the content? Reason being is that our course is a year long, but I cannot accept work from semester 1 any longer so I don't want it to show up on their missing or overdue assignment lists. I know I can copy each assignment or the module to a sandbox course to pull from later, but am wondering if there is a faster way.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
dskelley
Community Explorer

So I don't think what you want is possible, at least from what I understand. I went and tested out a couple different ways to obscure an assignment and none of them quite worked right.

1. I tried messing with the "Assign" to feature by having the assignment assigned to no one. Canvas will pop-up error message text telling you that you NEED to have the assignment assigned to someone.
  2. I tried hiding the grade. Well this will hide the students grade obviously, but they'll still be able to see the assignment in their "Past Assignments" section.
  3. You could delete the assignment, but obviously that deletes the content/grades for that particular assignment.

I think your best bet is to just move the content over to a development shell so that you can have it for later if you want it. If you want to keep a copy of the grades, maybe export those via the gradebook so that you can have a record for later.

If you simply want students to just not submit work to you when they shouldn't, you could just put down an "Available until" date. That way they can't make submissions after the set date. I hope this helps to answer your question.

View solution in original post

Yup. So one way you could do this:

Create a new assignment group. Move all of the assignments you want to delete over to this group. Click the kebab at the top right of the assignment group box and select "Delete". You will see an options screen pop-up saying "You are about to delete [GROUP NAME], which has X assignments in it". It will then give two options:

1. Delete its assignments

2. Move its assignments to....

Select "Delete its assignments" and then press "Delete Group". Bam all of the assignments should be deleted. 

View solution in original post