cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jshin3
Community Member

Removing User from Subaccount

How do you remove a user from a subaccount? Is it even possible? I know we can remove a user from an entire Canvas instance, but there is no clear route to remove someone from a single subaccount. Please let me know!

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jshin3 , I'm not an expert on subaccounts, but unless the person is an Admin for the subaccount, I believe the only way you could remove someone (like a teacher or student) would be to remove them from all courses they have access to in the subaccount. 

I'm going to share this with the Canvas Admins‌ group to see if they have any additional suggestions or recommendations.

Kona

jshin3
Community Member

Thank you  @kona ‌! Yes, I am asking as an Admin, so if we are an Admin, (how) can we remove someone from a subaccount? 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I just reread what I posted and I don't think it came through that clearly, sorry! 

You can easily remove a subaccount admin from a subaccount. So if the person you want to remove is an admin for the subaccount you can remove that person from the subaccount from the Subaccount settings page. If the person you want to remove from the subaccount is a teacher or student, you would have to remove them from all courses they were associated with in that subaccount. 

Does this make more sense? Sorry about the confusion!

tdelillo
Community Champion

To further clarify this, I'd say that users exist at the main account level, and can only be search for (and found) in a sub-account if the person is assigned a course level role (teacher, TA, student, etc.) in that sub-account, or is an admin for the sub-account. I'm always curious about the "why". What would be the use case for removing someone from a specific sub-account?

mbuonato
Community Contributor

We have 7 schools. I apply some of my admin accounts at the subaccount level that way a user only has admin permissions for a specific school which is the subaccount.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jshin3 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie