cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hochmucr
Community Participant

Removing dates from synced content in course copy

Jump to solution

How does one remove all dates when copying from last year's completed canvas course? Right now the selection button will not remove the dates of assignments and quizzes that were synced to PowerSchool SIS last year. It keeps them as is, no removal, no shifting.  So how does one remove dates - including the ones which were previously synced to an SIS?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hochmucr
Community Participant

To all, I did receive the answer from Canvas support:

The issue with dates not being removed from assignments seems to be tied to the Account setting "Default SIS Sync for assignments, quizzes, grade discussion" > "Require assignment due date" (see this screenshot). In the testing I've done in my own sandbox, unchecking the "Require assignment due date" resolved the issue. When I imported assignments with "Sync to SIS" enabled and chose to remove dates, they were successfully removed.

If you do not wish to turn that option off at the account level, the other workaround would be to turn off "Sync to SIS" for any desired assignments before exporting/copying them to a new course.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hochmucr 

On the Import Content screen............

• Select the checkbox for "Adjust events and due dates". This will open additional menu options.
  • On the Date Adjustment options, select the "Remove Dates" radio button.

284308_pastedImage_2.png

Let us know if that works for you.

Kelley

hochmucr
Community Participant

Kelly,

I have done that multiple times with various courses - but it does not

remove ALL Dates. Those with dates on assignments that were synced to

PowerSchool SIS are NOT removed. Those assignments keep the old dates - only the unsynced have dates that are removed. Where

is that explained in the documentation?

Carl R. Hochmuth

Educational Technology Coordinator

Luther Preparatory School

The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom - Psalm 111:10

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 12:14 PM Kelley L. Meeusen <instructure@jiveon.com>

hochmucr
Community Participant

To all, I did receive the answer from Canvas support:

The issue with dates not being removed from assignments seems to be tied to the Account setting "Default SIS Sync for assignments, quizzes, grade discussion" > "Require assignment due date" (see this screenshot). In the testing I've done in my own sandbox, unchecking the "Require assignment due date" resolved the issue. When I imported assignments with "Sync to SIS" enabled and chose to remove dates, they were successfully removed.

If you do not wish to turn that option off at the account level, the other workaround would be to turn off "Sync to SIS" for any desired assignments before exporting/copying them to a new course.

View solution in original post

chrish
Community Participant

Carl, did you see any issues with turning off the "require assignment due date" at the account level?

hochmucr
Community Participant

The issue that has come up is that all assignments that had due dates removed, but were still published,  were synced over to PowerSchool with the due date being the first day of school - the first day that auto syncing took place. Even though these assignments were in unpublished modules, but because they were marked as published they were synced to Power School and given due dates.