cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thompsli
Community Champion

Report of when all students in a class completed a quiz or assignment

Jump to solution

One of the things my school is looking at is trying to see which behaviors earlier in the term were predictive of student success so we can use them as early warning signs next term, and one of the first things we wanted to look at was whether students completed the various course orientation/"welcome" assignments in their classes right away or not as a possible indicator of future success. 

However, I can't see to find a way to get this data that doesn't involve going through each assignment student-by-student. I'd ideally like a spreadsheet with student name, date the assignment was submitted, and their score, but I'd settle for just about anything that had the whole class on one page. (Right now I'm having to go through SpeedGrader student-by-student to find out when they submitted their assignment, which is really tedious.)

Any thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@thompsli , my initial thought is that this would be a LOT easier if your school pulled this data from the back-end of Canvas via the API or Canvas data. Aside from this, check out Gradebook History. Go to the Gradebook for a course, click on the gear icon in the upper right and select "view gradebook history." From this screen you can then enter the name of the assignment, quiz, or discussion and you'll get a list that includes: Date assignment was graded, student, grader, and grade information. If the assignment was an auto-graded quiz then the date that shows up will be for when the student submitted it. If it's not for something auto-graded then the data that shows up is for when the assignment was graded by the teacher, not when the assignment was submitted by the student.

I'm going to go ahead and share this with the Canvas Developers‌ to see if they can help come up with a better solution!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@thompsli , my initial thought is that this would be a LOT easier if your school pulled this data from the back-end of Canvas via the API or Canvas data. Aside from this, check out Gradebook History. Go to the Gradebook for a course, click on the gear icon in the upper right and select "view gradebook history." From this screen you can then enter the name of the assignment, quiz, or discussion and you'll get a list that includes: Date assignment was graded, student, grader, and grade information. If the assignment was an auto-graded quiz then the date that shows up will be for when the student submitted it. If it's not for something auto-graded then the data that shows up is for when the assignment was graded by the teacher, not when the assignment was submitted by the student.

I'm going to go ahead and share this with the Canvas Developers‌ to see if they can help come up with a better solution!

View solution in original post

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

This might be an interesting addition to the Quiz.Next tool. I don’t want to,be the cause for Quiz.Next to be delayed but it might make sense to have some kind of setting that an instructor could turn on to receive some kind of notification. 

GregoryBeyrer
Community Champion

@kona  Thank You for mentioning the Gradebook History. The data is there that  @thompsli ‌ mentioned in her question. It's too bad that the filtered results cannot be exported as a file but instead have to be scraped off the page. I did a test and didn't have to be too careful where I clicked and dragged but the copied text was recognized as a table when I pasted it into a Google Spreadsheet.

Another way to meet this interest is to link a Google Form inside your Canvas course that students fill out once they have completed the assignment. The advantage of using a Google Form is you get a Google Sheet that has a timestamped submission from each student. While they might not automatically fill out that form (they at least need to hit Submit), they might be enticed if the form sends them an email so they can document their success. This works best if the institution is a Google Suite for Education client and has enabled single sign-on for their Google and Canvas systems. I set this up for my college to document student completion of a series of readiness materials to be a successful online learner:

thompsli
Community Champion

Thank you! I hadn't thought about using Gradebook History for that, but it looks like it will work (it took a lot of loading more results to get it to cough them all up for our 150+ student new student orientation class, and I'll have to clean the data to remove the duplicates from students who took the quiz more than once (they had to get a certain score to complete orientation), but it's still faster than other methods that I'd found).

I'm going to hold off as marking this "correct" for a week or so in hopes that someone has a cleaner method, but if not this is still an improvement over what I'd figured out myself.