cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josephkwashnak
Community Participant

Requiring Student ID as security on online exams

I know that you can password protect an exam, but I wondered if there was a way to make an exam where they must answer a question in order to move on to the exam.  I want the student to have to enter in their student ID as a text answer (so no checking) and then they would be able to see the rest of the exam. I can see that I can simulate that by setting up so that each question displays individually, but I wondered if you could have this as a login screen almost (instead of a password) and then give them the multi-question view for the real exam.

Alternately, can I give them a password that is wildcard based - so the login password checks if it is a string of say 7 characters long (to match their student ID length) without having to match a specific string of characters?

I know that it sounds strange. I'm trying to add some additional (or at least the perception) of additional individual security to online exams.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

J.J. Kwashnak

Tags (2)
3 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

I'm not aware of doing either method of security at the moment.  I know there's work being done on the quiz engine, so hopefully we'll see more security features.

You can sort of get the "wildcard" feature by using a "numerical answer" question type, where the number must be between two numbers (so 1000 and 9999 if you expect a 4-digit ID number).

The only way I know how to replicate this lockout is to set up two quizzes, the first for entering their ID number, and the second requiring they have completed the first.  I haven't messed around with this a whole lot, but I believe the second would need to be in it's own module, and the module set to not be available until the first quiz is complete.

dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

it's a bit of a kludge, but you could create 2 quizzes, and make the first a pre-req. of the second.  the first just asks for the ID, doesn't require a grade, and is worth 0 points, the second is the actual quiz.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

josephkwashnak​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie