Restore assignments from a deleted folder

Jump to solution
eppslr
Community Member

I accidentally deleted an assignment folder that appeared to have nothing in it, but after I clicked confirm, I realized it had many assignments. I went to /undelete and restored the folder, but the assignments are not back. Can I restore my course to it's state at a certain time?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@eppslr I just tested it out, and the assignment group (what you called a folder I think) was restored without the assignments in it.  However, the assignments I added to the group were their own entity on the undelete page.  Therefore you should be able to find them on the undelete page and restore them.  You will then have to refresh the assignment page to see the results.

If you don't see the assignments listed individually, then I guess they are lost.

So not only restore the assignment group, but find each of the assignments and restore them as well.

View solution in original post

Hi there, @eppslr ...

In addition to the information that you received from @Ron_Bowman ... you may be able to log in to your school's "test" or "beta" environment to recover those assignments if you cannot find them via the /undelete trick.

You could log in to either of these environment (if you do it in time...as these environments are regularly refreshed).  What is the Canvas release schedule for beta, prod... - Canvas Community  These are environments that are separate from your normal "production" environment that you typically log in to day-to-day.  You could navigate to your course and these assignments and copy/paste things back to your course in the "production" environment.  Or, you might be even able to export the entire course from "test" or "beta" and then import specific content (not the entire course) back to your "production" environment.  I've not tried this myself, but in theory, I think it would work.  (You might want to try it first in a sandbox course ... if you have one of those available to you.)

Hope this helps a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post