cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bth11
Community Participant

Restricting a file until completion of another assignment

Jump to solution

Hi...anyone know if there is a way to restrict access to a single file (not an entire module) until another assignment is submitted? In this case the restricted file is an answer key that students should not be able to access/view until they have submitted their work to an assignment for grading.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bth11 ​, could you create a Module just for the answer key and then use requirements and prerequisites so that students would only need to submit their assignment in order to open/access the Module with the answer key? If that doesn't work then the only other thing I can think of is making students do things in order and making submitting to that assignment a requirement.

Here are two guides that will help with this:

How do I add requirements to a Module?

How do I set up prerequisite Modules?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bth11 ​, could you create a Module just for the answer key and then use requirements and prerequisites so that students would only need to submit their assignment in order to open/access the Module with the answer key? If that doesn't work then the only other thing I can think of is making students do things in order and making submitting to that assignment a requirement.

Here are two guides that will help with this:

How do I add requirements to a Module?

How do I set up prerequisite Modules?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@bth11 , we designed some courses using a method similar to the one  @kona ​ has outlined. In some cases, we placed the file in a module of its own and made the previous module, containing the required assignment, a prerequisite for opening the module containing the file. In other cases, we instead chose to date-restrict the module containing the file, making sure that the "file module" would not open until after the "Available Until" date on the assignment had passed. Using this latter method, even students who did not, and could no longer, complete the required assignment would be able to benefit from a review of the answers and could use them to study and prepare for subsequent assessments.