cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
don_mirjanian
Community Member

Retain Copy/paste formatting

Jump to solution

In the past I have been able to copy and paste a table created in Google Docs (or MS Word) into a content page I created in Canvas. Though the table still copies, all formatting is removed. I have tried all three major browsers. I have tried right-clicking to paste as well as Control-v. This is specific to Canvas as I can easily do this into Blackboard currently. What am I missing?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @don_mirjanian ​...

I've never had 100% success copying material from a MS Word document to any LMS (Learning Management System) or CMS (Content Management System) when building pages for a course or a website (respectively).  When pasting stuff from a MS Word document to the RCE (or WYSIWYG) editor, it really pastes in a lot of what I would call "junk code".  A lot of what MS Word has included really isn't necessary for the web.  I even tried taking a Google Docs word processed document from my account which had a table in it and then paste it into a Content Page within my sandbox course in Canvas.  When I looked at the code, I saw hundreds and hundreds of lines of code similar to:

<span style="font-weight: 400;">

So, for me, pasting text from these sources has never been something I've been a fan of.  On top of that, as you've noted, some of your formatting is gone.  This *may* be because Canvas is stripping out some of the HTML tags that aren't allowed.

As an alternative, have you tried embedding your Google document inside a Canvas page instead?  Doing it this way, at least your formatted Google Doc will appear to students the way you wanted.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have more questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @don_mirjanian ​...

I've never had 100% success copying material from a MS Word document to any LMS (Learning Management System) or CMS (Content Management System) when building pages for a course or a website (respectively).  When pasting stuff from a MS Word document to the RCE (or WYSIWYG) editor, it really pastes in a lot of what I would call "junk code".  A lot of what MS Word has included really isn't necessary for the web.  I even tried taking a Google Docs word processed document from my account which had a table in it and then paste it into a Content Page within my sandbox course in Canvas.  When I looked at the code, I saw hundreds and hundreds of lines of code similar to:

<span style="font-weight: 400;">

So, for me, pasting text from these sources has never been something I've been a fan of.  On top of that, as you've noted, some of your formatting is gone.  This *may* be because Canvas is stripping out some of the HTML tags that aren't allowed.

As an alternative, have you tried embedding your Google document inside a Canvas page instead?  Doing it this way, at least your formatted Google Doc will appear to students the way you wanted.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have more questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

c_t_coltman
Community Contributor

Donald

You could try saving your document in Word as a web page.  If you choose the option Save as type; Web page Filtered (htm, html) and then copy and paste - you won't get lots of extra code.

@don_mirjanian ​, further to what  @chofer ​ said about embedding the Google Doc directly into a Canvas page, you'll find more info about that here: Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content​. You'll need to be a member of the Instructional Designers​ group to view the blog; joining is just a few clicks away.

Good pro tip,  @c_t_coltman ​!