cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schin

Revised Code for Tabbed Pages

Jump to solution

I have been reading the blog for the entry Making YouTube Captions Appear in the Arc Media Player started by Gregory Beyrer, which was very informative. I am hoping someone can help me with the adjusting the existing code for the tabbed pages. 

I am able to create the tabbed pages if the content is just text/richtext. However, when I use the same code to embed videos (three tabbed pages with embedded video html for each of the tabbed pages). 

While the video on the first tabbed page displays correctly, the videos on the subsequent pages do not. I've attached a screenshot of the recommended code I am using as well as the incorrect display. 

Has anyone run across this issue and can anyone help with adjusting the code? I don't know html well enough at this point to be able to make the necessary adjustments or to determine what is wrong in the code that needs editing. 

Thank you.

1 Solution
schin

For anyone who is having this issue, I just wanted to update you on how it was resolved, and thank you, Brian, for your help! The videos I was trying to chunk into tabbed pages are those offered through ProQuest Research Companion (PQRC). 

The code provided by PQRC for embedding their videos was inadequate. Indeed, the problem was not with the tabbed page code (I switched the code out for one of the pages that had the PQRC embed code with an embedded code for a random youtube video; there was no problem with the display of the youtube video. This told me that the issue was with PQRC and not with the custom tabbed pages code.)

When I presented this to the PQRC tech support, they finally agreed to forward the issue to their development department (as they had originally said there was nothing they could do), which didn't make any sense to me. Even though I am not a coder, I knew enough to understand the fix should have been easy for anyone who had even minimal knowledge of coding. However, I had little hope PQRC would get back to me with a solution in a timely manner given their initial responses to me.  

With the help of our onsite Canvas admin, but especially from our Emerging Technologies Librarian (who does understand code), she was able to figure out that the PQRC code was missing the all essential https: in front of the double forward slashes to the video. When we tried this, and I temporarily published the tabbed pages, everything displayed as it should! Here is a screen shot of what was missing and what was needed: 

Missing information in embedded video code that made it display incorrectly in tabbed pages.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bdye
Community Participant

We had this issue with one of our Library integrations recently. It was with Films on Demand back in Dec. 

After contacting them it was resolved. It wasn't anything we did on the Canvas side of things.

schin

Hi Brian, 

So you contacted "Films on Demand" and described to them the problem?

0 Kudos
bdye
Community Participant

Yes.

We provided documentation and screenshots. 

I don't know what fixed it but it was after contacting them and describing the issue. It only happened with Films On Demand.

schin

For anyone who is having this issue, I just wanted to update you on how it was resolved, and thank you, Brian, for your help! The videos I was trying to chunk into tabbed pages are those offered through ProQuest Research Companion (PQRC). 

The code provided by PQRC for embedding their videos was inadequate. Indeed, the problem was not with the tabbed page code (I switched the code out for one of the pages that had the PQRC embed code with an embedded code for a random youtube video; there was no problem with the display of the youtube video. This told me that the issue was with PQRC and not with the custom tabbed pages code.)

When I presented this to the PQRC tech support, they finally agreed to forward the issue to their development department (as they had originally said there was nothing they could do), which didn't make any sense to me. Even though I am not a coder, I knew enough to understand the fix should have been easy for anyone who had even minimal knowledge of coding. However, I had little hope PQRC would get back to me with a solution in a timely manner given their initial responses to me.  

With the help of our onsite Canvas admin, but especially from our Emerging Technologies Librarian (who does understand code), she was able to figure out that the PQRC code was missing the all essential https: in front of the double forward slashes to the video. When we tried this, and I temporarily published the tabbed pages, everything displayed as it should! Here is a screen shot of what was missing and what was needed: 

Missing information in embedded video code that made it display incorrectly in tabbed pages.

schin

Hi Everyone, 

This is a modification to my response. It turns out the fix I tried only worked temporarily. ProQuest was still not able to help me. Or unwilling to. Sigh. 

So the only workaround was to download the videos from PQRC as mp4 files, then re-upload it as a video file by using the upload media option in richtext. A thumbnail appears in each tabbed page, which works for me. The only issue I am encountering right now is how to get the closed captioning back as downloading the file as an mp4 somehow stripped the closed captioning file. I'm hoping the 3C Media Studios can help, but will have to check on licensing and rights for this. 

How to insert a video in tabbed pages using the "insert media" option. Must download file from source, then insert.